Archer MR500 4G+ + Archer AXE5400 + G.hn240 Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-19 11:48:20
Tags: #OneMesh #AXE5400

Hi,

Some setup advice sort.

I've had to switch over to mobile broadband after tons of issues with Vodafone fixed line. I've got a reasonably good connection using an EE Data Sim (35-55 MB down, 40-55mp upload) considering I live in a rural farm location and the fixed line was (23 MB down and 4 MB up). To do this I've used an Archer MR500 4G+ connected to a Poynting directional antenna.

I was planning on just using the Archer MR500 for our house WiFi but it's not very strong and goes down to 2 bars of WiFi in the next room. So I have purchased an Archer AXE5400 WiFi 6E router (reasonable price, slightly future-proof with the WiFi 6E and powerful). From reading up, it would seem I can add the AXE5400 as a OneMesh client but that I will only have access to features from one device. 

So the advice is, as the MR500 is the main router, does this need to be the master router or do I do it the other way around?

Also, I've bought a pair of Powerline G.hn2400 adapters, on the Amazon page it says this in the title...

TP-Link G.hn2400 Passthrough Powerline adapter Kit, Range Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot, Extra Power Socket, 2+2Gigabit Ethernet Ports, No Configuration 

Does this mean when I add them to my network, they will boost my WiFi? Do they also add into the mesh network?

Thanks loads.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer MR500 4G+ + Archer AXE5400 + G.hn240 Setup
2023-02-22 15:50:17

@DJames 

So, after a rather unhelpful online chat with support I discovered that even though ALL the publications say OneMesh devices connects to each other, they don't! That is, you can't have two routers connect even if one is made an access point!

Then I find out the G.hn240 Powerline adapters don't actually extender the WiFi network even though it says they do in the title on amazon... And aren't OneMesh compatible.

I've sent the Archer AXE5400 X75 router back along with the G.nh240 Powerline adapters. And bought 3 TP-Link AX1200 Powerline Adapters with 'OneMesh". Plugged these in and had to wait a good 5 minutes before they both appeared on my network in the MR500 routers admin page under OneMesh. Added them both and now have good reach, a fast ish ping time (40s compared to 90+s) and mobile broadband downloading at 40mb+ and uploading at 50mb+ (Which is really useful as I work in the photography/videography industry.

Lesson learned - TP-Link, please sort out your naming, compatibility list and descriptions, absolute nightmare to work out what goes with what, no common system to the naming that makes sense to an end user.

*Note, the Archer AXE5400 looks like a beast, it isn't! The weakest WiFi range I've ever had! 15 feet away and it drops to two bars. My 10yr old Fitz!box 3490 goes three times as far and delivers file way faster. Also, nothing in my house can use WiFi 6 or 6E just yet and this reserves 200mb of bandwidth for a service that is only just coming to market.

Options
Re:Archer MR500 4G+ + Archer AXE5400 + G.hn240 Setup
2023-03-01 03:46:37

@DJames 

Hi, thank you very much for the feedback.

Really sorry for the inconvenience caused, and glad to hear that you have found the best solution now.

By the way, here are some frequently asked questions about OneMesh for reference:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2690/

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 499

Replies: 2

Tags

OneMesh
AXE5400
Related Articles