Deco M5 AccessPoint resolving DNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-10 07:05:50
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.7.3

So my Deco's are in accespoint mode.

There is no reason to resolve DNS for amazon reddit live bing linkedin or anything else. Certainly not every 50 seconds.
If you absolutely need to check the DNS (I can't see why you would in AP-mode) you use tp-link.com

Is there any traffic going to those sites? do you ping them? is it a DNS-server test?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco M5 AccessPoint resolving DNS
2023-11-10 07:29:44

@PeterGeelhoed 

The name "deco1" is statically linked to  the IP address of a Deco?
Does any local device use the Deco as DNS server?

Options
2023-11-10 08:49:24
Yes I told Pihole to translate Deco's IP top deco1 Who would use an accesspoint as DNS? So no. It is the Deco itself getting those dns.
Options
2023-11-10 15:27:45 - last edited 2023-11-10 15:28:50

@PeterGeelhoed 

This is Internet connectivity health check. There is no actual traffic, just DNS queries. If you manage to block all DNS queries from Main Deco, the LED on it should switch to red.

I saw these sorts of health checks performed by other routers, so it must be common. Also note, Deco is a consumer grade WiFi mesh: not very many home users will notice or will care that Deco does its own DNS queries, which usually go to their ISP DNS servers.

Your suggestion to use just tp-link.com makes sense on the first glance, but as any simple solution it could bring its problems. If someone nukes that one domain, every Deco mesh worldwide may assume Internet is down. 

It is quite hard to down multiple domains Deco is using for Internet connectivity health check, even you haven't managed to do that in your LAN environment.

Options
2023-11-11 08:30:44
"This is Internet connectivity health check." Well actually it is not if it is only a DNS resolve. Second, why would an accesspoint need to connect to the internet? That's what the router does, "It is quite hard to down multiple domains Deco is using for Internet connectivity health check, even you haven't managed to do that in your LAN environment." Actually I have. The two green lines are after I had unblocked every domain from the deco MAC's. You may also notice that after it succeeded, it went back to checking every 50 seconds again instead of 3s. My point is: why would the accesspoint care about the internet? That's for the router to worry about.
Options
2023-11-11 09:39:57

@PeterGeelhoed I care about the internet, and I am satisfied that the LED of my Deco turns red when my mesh is disconnected from Internet.  That is one of the numerous advantages, for my domestic usage, of Deco versus a regular Access Point.

Options
2023-11-11 12:52:51

yves_b wrote

@PeterGeelhoed I care about the internet, and I am satisfied that the LED of my Deco turns red when my mesh is disconnected from Internet.  That is one of the numerous advantages, for my domestic usage, of Deco versus a regular Access Point.

To add to this. At my house, ISP cable gateway is located in the far corner of the basement, while Deco nodes are at every floor and in my office. I find it convenient to see what is the Internet connectivity status by just looking at LED of Deco M5 - there is always one nearby. This is quite useful feature that I would not want to lose just because I switched Deco mesh from Router to Access Point mode.

We occasionally lose Internet, when it happens it is often for just a brief period of less than 5 minutes and then it comes back on its own. It helps me with member of my household who is not in IT profession: all I had to do is tell her "when light on the top of Deco is red - it means Internet is down and you can't watch cartoons on your tablet until it is green again."

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 820

Replies: 6

Related Articles