Failure resolving DNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Failure resolving DNS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Failure resolving DNS
Failure resolving DNS
2021-01-24 13:59:18 - last edited 2021-01-24 14:36:56
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 20200918 Rel. 74289

Just bought the DECO M4R to get way from my ISP chummy router and improve my overall wireless coverage which is working great so far...except one thing....

The problem Im having is solely related to this DECO unit. I run a Ubuntu server and when attempting to update or install ANY package via command line it returns a DNS failure(photo attached). I have tried changing the DNS servers from auto over to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 (google) with no luck. If I switch back over to my ISP wireless router this issue goes away.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

Edit: Also, previous router I could access my server via its computer name whereas now Im forced to use the IP address.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Failure resolving DNS
2021-01-24 14:43:07 - last edited 2021-01-24 15:00:42

@jmich318 

Suggestions on basic DNS resolution troubleshooting for Linux server. Do the following while using Deco:

1. Can you access anything else from Ubuntu server? Does that work:

$ ping www.zdnet.com

2. What output do you get from the following:

$ dig us.archive.ubuntu.com

$ dig @8.8.8.8 us.archive.ubuntu.com

3. What is in file /etc/resolv.conf

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

4. What is default gateway on Ubuntu server, multiple ways to find out, here is one of them:

$ ip route show 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 564

Replies: 1

Related Articles