TL-WPA4220KIT and wifi extension problems: wrong ip-range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WPA4220KIT and wifi extension problems: wrong ip-range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
96 Reply
Totally unsuitable
2015-11-06 14:02:43
I think we can conclude that TL-WPA4220KIT is totally unsuitable to use in a wireless context. The company should remove that "functionality" and reference to it in their marketing.

It works just fine as a powerline adapter, but when it comes to wireless, it is a pure hack, conforming to no known standard technology, and is unlikely to work in conforming installations.

Too bad. But, as I said, using it with cables works just fine.

Daniel
Options
Another one here...
2015-11-11 22:24:36
I've had a triple AV500 setup for the last month or so. I'm getting the same issues with DHCP calls not being passed to the router (well, that's my take on it). It's particularly a problem with my sons Macbook, so last night I bound the IP address of that to the MAC address in the router - after a while it appeared to work, but I'm not holding out much hope for long term reliability after reading this forum!

It looks like TP-Link aren't interested in this is an issue, does anyone else have any experience of a competitor product that DOES Work reliably?
Options
Yet another one
2015-11-14 05:49:59
I've just discovered that my TP-WPA4220 are the cause of all the intermittent network issues I've been having since I bought them a few months ago. In retrospect I should have realised this sooner, but when I tested them on day one they worked beautifully!

My whole set of TP-LINK kit will be going back to Amazon as faulty for a refund. It's a shame as the powerline ones seem reliable, it's just the wifi ones that are the problem. I'm frankly shocked at how poor the firmware is.

A friend has a netgear XAVN2001; apparently that is reliable.
Options
Re:TL-WPA4220KIT and wifi extension problems: wrong ip-range
2016-01-03 08:37:20
Seems odd that my WPA4230P shipped with default of IP of 192.168.1.1
I think that would put it in coflict with most home routers ?
I set address reservation of 192.168.1.19 for mine and it seems to be working okay for wired clients, but my router is telling me there's a bunch of clients in the 192.168.0.x range.
Is this normal ? BTW I turned Radio off.

Options
2016-01-04 02:35:15

Grindlay wrote

Seems odd that my WPA4230P shipped with default of IP of 192.168.1.1
I think that would put it in coflict with most home routers ?

These units don't have a default IP - they listen to the network traffic and figure out what IP range is in use on your network - then they pick a random IP in that range that they believe is unused. This behaviour seems to be one of the ways these units misbehave.

(I've returned my WPA4220 to Amazon as faulty now, got a refund and replaced them with TRENDnet TPL-410APK instead. These seem to behave better.)
Options
2016-01-05 20:18:30
I have just bought a TP-Link WPA4226KIT from Currys, which I can get to work fine using my home Sky Fibre.

I am no good at all these TCP, DHCP things, and fuddled through to get it to work.

Had to use their own software to work out IP of the wifi part to log in to it to changes its SSID and p/w and also its deftault login username and password.

What I can't get it to do is work with my Chromecast.

The Chromecast can log in to the wifi but then I can't seem to cast to it from the devices I have?

Is this down to this DCHP issue?

Is there a fix for this or have I to take it back to Currys?

thanks,

David
Options
2016-01-06 18:06:47

jogu wrote

These units don't have a default IP - they listen to the network traffic and figure out what IP range is in use on your network - then they pick a random IP in that range that they believe is unused. This behaviour seems to be one of the ways these units misbehave

Weird that mine picked the IP address of my router and sparked an address conflict but there you go.
I also think I figured out the cause of the 192.168.0.x addresses - I believe I'm connecting to my neighbour's powerline device(s). I googled it and it seems fairly common for RF signals to propagate out if your fusebox is not filtered for RF (few are, apparently).
So my devices are getting their IPs from my neighbour's router via DHCP. I only realised this when I put 192.168.0.1 into my browser and got his router admin screen.
I've yet to determine whether pairing my powerline devices will fix this. Hopefully it will.
Options
IP connection problems
2016-01-27 20:31:44
I don't know if there is now a solution for this problem. I cannot access the internet through my powerline wpa4220 as it will not hold an IP address compatible with my router. My router is 192.168.1.1 and the powerline has an address 169.xx.xx.xx which I cannot change with the utility. I need a wifi extender as I cannot change the location of the router. Can anyone help please?
Options
2016-02-17 15:16:43
Shocking that TP-Links continue selling a products that does not work with know problem!!!!!! I am paking up this junk and sending it back and will replace it with a D-Link PowerLine AV 500 Wireless N Mini Starter Kit DHP-W311AV It looks to be the right one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP8Tw1dbNEA
Options
2016-02-17 15:17:39
TP-Link support just gives me the run around with braind dead answers. I am so disappointed
Options
Related Articles