Deco X60 (V3) Not updating firmware

Tuesday
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20210915 Rel. 62826

My network has 3 Deco X60 units all in access point mode and ethernet backhauled to the modem/router combo provided by the ISP (Jio Fiber, India). I purchased one unit initially (Deco X60 V3.20) to test the system, and it was working fine in access point mode, and updated to the latest firmware version (1.2.9 Build 20240722 Rel. 43212).

I purchased 2 additional units to add to the system, both are Deco X60 V3.0 and NOT V3.20. The base firmware version is 1.0.7 Build 20210915 Rel. 62826. I have tried to update the firmware to the latest version many times but it's not updating. The app/web ui says the latest version available to update to is 1.2.5 Build 20240106 Rel. 2319. I download the firware and update it on the app/web but it just completes the process with the reboot timer and says the update was completed. The unit however stays on throughout the process and does not reboot, and stays with version 1.0.7. I have also tried manually updating but the result is same, process is completed on app/web but no effect on the unit.

I have followed community/reddit threads and found others with same issue who were able to solve it through TP Link tech support using their update tools. I was hoping for a similar solution. 

P.S.- The Tech support in India is really poor. I tried to reach them thrice and on 2 occasions they hung up on me after I mentioned Deco and on the third occasion, I was advised to not update the Deco. 

Can someone help me to update these device? And if not, will I be fine in the long run if I ignore the updates on the 2 device? The first device is updating with no issues.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco X60 (V3) Not updating firmware
Wednesday

@kushagra9320 

Hi, wlecome to the community.

When I checked your TP-link ID, I noticed all the three Deco X60_v3 have updated to 1.2.9 already. Did you fix the issue already?

If yes, It is highly appreciated if you could share us how you located the problem, which would be very helpful if other users had the same issue.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Deco X60 (V3) Not updating firmware
Wednesday

@David-TP 

Hi. Yes, I was able to update both devices shortly after posting this. I looked at some other threads with people facing a similar issue and found that upgrading from version 1.0.7 to 1.2.5 or higher was a big jump. To solve this, we need to manually update in a step-by-step manner. I first manually updated my devices to version 1.2.1, and then they were able to automatically update to version 1.2.9, which is the latest version.

One issue I encountered during the process was at TP-Link's official support page for the Deco X60, I couldn't find any firmware version lower than 1.2.5. (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-x60/v3/#Firmware)
I was able to find firmware version 1.2.1 on external site (https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Router-Switch-Access-Point/TP-Link/TP-Link-Deco-X60-US-V3-Mesh-WiFi-Firmware-1-2-1.shtml), which was risky but it worked for me.

TL;DR: First, update firmware from version 1.0.7 to 1.2.1, then update to 1.2.9 or the latest one.

Options