How Do I Set Up Archer AXE75 Router As Second Router So It Has WiFi And Lan Ports Working

How Do I Set Up Archer AXE75 Router As Second Router So It Has WiFi And Lan Ports Working

2024-08-24 22:00:46 - last edited 2024-08-26 07:02:42
Tags: #Network Connectivity #LAN Connection
Model: Archer AXE5400  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi All

I have a BT Smart Hub 2 as primary router and have purchased AXE5400 6e router as a secondary router so i can utilise 6e connections as well as more reliable ethernet. Please can someone advise how I get the Lan ports to work on the AXE5400? WiFi is working fine. Currently router is set to Wireless Router Mode, network cable from BT Smart Hub LAN port to AXE5400 LAN port. I plugged in the LAN cables from BT Hub in to AXE5400 but no connection was made. 

Appreciate any advice. Thank you

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:How Do I Set Up Archer AXE75 Router As Second Router So It Has WiFi And Lan Ports Working-Solution
2024-08-24 23:17:53 - last edited 2024-08-26 07:02:42

@Hoodholmes 

Either in router mode or AP mode you should use AXE5400 WAN port to connect to your BT Smart Hub 2 LAN port.

Here's the difference between router mode and AP mode.

When AXE5400 is configured in AP mode you could avoid the double NAT in your network.

The other way to avoid double NAT is to use BT Smart Hub 2 as modem only and AXE5400 in router mode.

Or you can use both in router mode if double NAT is not a concern for you.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:How Do I Set Up Archer AXE75 Router As Second Router So It Has WiFi And Lan Ports Working-Solution
2024-08-25 13:46:45 - last edited 2024-08-26 07:03:11

@Hoodholmes 

I'm also with bt and I'm not using their router. 

If you have the fibre ONT(fttp)modem you can do away with their router and use your own like I have unless you need their router. 

As said above you can run both as router but i wouldn't advise it as mentioned above causing double Nat. 

You could do as mentioned above is is set your tp link router into AP mode. 

Your tp link router WAN port should be connected to a lan port on the BT router, 

Then you should be to be able to use your tp link router Lan ports 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2024-08-24 23:17:53 - last edited 2024-08-26 07:02:42

@Hoodholmes 

Either in router mode or AP mode you should use AXE5400 WAN port to connect to your BT Smart Hub 2 LAN port.

When AXE5400 is configured in AP mode you could avoid the double NAT in your network.

The other way to avoid double NAT is to use BT Smart Hub 2 as modem only and AXE5400 in router mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-25 13:46:45 - last edited 2024-08-26 07:03:11

@Hoodholmes 

I'm also with bt and I'm not using their router. 

If you have the fibre ONT(fttp)modem you can do away with their router and use your own like I have unless you need their router. 

As said above you can run both as router but i wouldn't advise it as mentioned above causing double Nat. 

You could do as mentioned above is is set your tp link router into AP mode. 

Your tp link router WAN port should be connected to a lan port on the BT router, 

Then you should be to be able to use your tp link router Lan ports 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:How Do I Set Up Archer AXE75 Router As Second Router So It Has WiFi And Lan Ports Working
2 weeks ago

terziyski wrote

@Hoodholmes 

@terziyski 

This is not a further answer, just the same question I guess in a different way! I have been considering how I can get my Router that sits inside my BT Smart Hub to be under the control like the rest of my Network via my newly installed OC200 Controller. It seems that it is not possible, so I would have to install something like an Omada ER605 Router. That is fine, but I cannot find how to put the BT Hub into Bridge mode or modem only mode to avoid double NAT. I am on FFTP and I think I saw mention of connecting third party router to ONT, but I guess this would lose my WiFi (and Digital Voice VOIP) in the room where the Hub sits.

Any further ideas would be great!

Options
Re:How Do I Set Up Archer AXE75 Router As Second Router So It Has WiFi And Lan Ports Working
2 weeks ago

@shdyerTN26 

This is a specific question about BT equipment - it's probably better to ask that in the BT community, but here's an answer you may find helpful.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@shdyerTN26 

Hi 

You can skip using the bt router all together  but you'll loose the voip unless there is some other way but I don't think there is to my knowledge. Best I know is that virgin are the only ones who allow their routers to be put in modem mode and still have the landline/voip working.  

I'm with BT fttp and I've not used their router at all but then again I don't have the voip/landline service simply because it made no sence/use or to have the extra cost to me to have it because if anyone needs to contact me I have my mobile phone and if there's a power cut your voip won't work as your router won't be on and if needed I'll be called/texted on my mobile. 

You can connect straight to the ONT using a omada router i believe but will have to enter the BT username and password .

I have connected my AX72 straight to my ONT and when I went through the initial setup when I got to the pppoe settings I had to input some login details for bt and away I went.  

The only way you'll be able to make the bt router work just like a modem to my knowledge ( very limited) is to turn off the dhcp and the wifi and then it will somewhat be working like a modem but I do believe you'll possibly still end up with a double nat but possibly still be able to use the VOIP/landline as the bt router will still be plugged in and working. 

Do you have any other omada equipment (access points) or is the bt router the only thing you have to use as a  wifi AP at the moment as I think of you have the bt router wifi on, 

it will confuse the network or not have full control having the bt routers wifi accessable before the omada network. 

I say this because if you have rules/Vlan set on the omada network they won't apply to the BT router as that is before your omada network, 

so if anything connects to the BT router through wifi/lan access, 

cut off times or restrictions you had set up won't be on the bt router only the omada network. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 246

Replies: 5

Tags

Network Connectivity
LAN Connection
Related Articles