Moving from BT to Virgin XGS-PON: will devices get new IP range?

2024-06-07 18:32:31 - last edited 2024-06-09 11:26:46
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20231221 Rel 56452

I have been running a couple of X20s (1 is Main) and 3 M4s in Access Point Mode connected to a BT Smarthub (~72Mb) for the past few years quite satisfactorily. The Decos use wired backhaul.

The BT Hub does the DHCP and all my devices get IPs in the 192.168.1.x range. The X20 is set to SmartDHCP Enable. The BT WiFi is off and all WiFi is Mesh roaming from the Deco.

I now have a Virgin Media XGS-PON Hub 5 (~350Mb) which has a default IP range of 192.168.0. I can't change that. 

What's the best way to change the Decos to the VM hub? Do I just accept that everything will get new IPs? Will the Decos just need a reboot?

Alternatively, is there a way to provide the DHCP from the Decos with the existing range? I can't see that option in the configs.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Moving from BT to Virgin XGS-PON: will devices get new IP range?-Solution
2024-06-07 19:44:56 - last edited 2024-06-09 11:26:46

@jemahool 

Power off all Deco. Connect your Deco to Virgin Hub 5 the way they were connected to BT Hub. Power Main Deco on, wait till it is online (check its LED status and in Deco app). Then, power on Satellite Deco. 

Usually, that is enough to transfer Deco mesh running in AP mode from one ISP gateway to another. 

You will have to accept that all devices will get IP addresses from Virgin Hub 5 IP range. If you have devices for which you configured static IP addresses on BT Hub, you'll need to redo that with Virgin Hub 5, within its IP range. If you don't have devices with static IP addresses, you should be all set.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Moving from BT to Virgin XGS-PON: will devices get new IP range?-Solution
2024-06-07 19:44:56 - last edited 2024-06-09 11:26:46

@jemahool 

Power off all Deco. Connect your Deco to Virgin Hub 5 the way they were connected to BT Hub. Power Main Deco on, wait till it is online (check its LED status and in Deco app). Then, power on Satellite Deco. 

Usually, that is enough to transfer Deco mesh running in AP mode from one ISP gateway to another. 

You will have to accept that all devices will get IP addresses from Virgin Hub 5 IP range. If you have devices for which you configured static IP addresses on BT Hub, you'll need to redo that with Virgin Hub 5, within its IP range. If you don't have devices with static IP addresses, you should be all set.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Moving from BT to Virgin XGS-PON: will devices get new IP range?
2024-06-08 20:31:14

@Alexandre. \

All worked fine, thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 503

Replies: 2

Related Articles