Port forwarding. How do I do it to be able to connect to NAS remotely?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Port forwarding. How do I do it to be able to connect to NAS remotely?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
16 Reply
Re:Port forwarding. How do I do it to be able to connect to NAS remotely?
2024-02-12 12:49:13 - last edited 2024-02-12 12:49:34

Hoggorm wrote

@Alexandre. 

I believe she now has three or four different SSIDs in her home based on what Deco a device is connected to.

After placing the system in AP mode, will there be only one SSID seen then, or will all Deco devices still transmit their own SSID?

@Hoggorm 

Device should see single SSID from each Deco mesh Network (Main, Guest, IoT), regardless of Deco mesh mode. 

It is possible WiFi still enabled on ISP router - turn that off, for all ISP router WiFi networks. Deco mesh now provides WiFi coverage.

In Deco app, for its WiFi networks:

1) Main Network must be enabled;

2) If Guest Network is enabled but not in use, disable it. If they need Guest Network - make sure it runs with password. By default Guest Network can be enabled without password, if that happened - they now run open network, which is very bad;

3) Some Deco models offer IoT network: same as Guest, decide if it is necessary and disable if not.

This should reduce number of different SSIDs in her home.

Options
2024-02-12 14:43:42

@Hoggorm 

One more thing: what Deco model is there and what is its firmware version. If you can make and share here screenshot from Update Deco page in Deco app, it'll give me all info.

Example:

Options
2024-02-12 15:10:05 - last edited 2024-02-12 15:11:20

@Hoggorm Do not open ports to your Synology NAS and put it on the Internet - that's dangerous. If you expose your Synology to the Internet, there is a high probability of it being hacked.

Setup VPN instead - Synology includes an Open VPN server. If you don't like OpenVPN, use TailScale or Wireguard.

Options
2024-02-12 20:21:15

@Alexandre. 

I'll see if I can get a hold of the Update Deco page in the app.

Options
2024-02-12 20:22:27

@coolspot18 

I am aware of the consequences and they are acceptable. I use quite strict Firewall rules that will allow access from only specific IPs among other settings.

Options
2024-02-17 22:38:31

@Alexandre. 

Opening the relevant ports on the router by port forwarding them to the "master" Deco connected to the router - and opening the same ports on the TP-Link Deco iOS app port forwarding settings solved the issue. I did not set the system in AP mode.

Thank you for your assistance and help.

Options
Related Articles