Filling a dead spot in an XE75 mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-06 12:55:39
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.3

I have an XE75, 3 node mesh in my home, and I'm extremely impressed with it. My only problem is that there's one small dead spot, and it's where one of my wireless CCTV cameras lives.

What would you recommend to fill the dead spot? Am I going to have to get another XE75 unit, or could I use a cheaper TP unit to fill the dead spot without degrading the rest of my network?

I've tried repositioning the 3 XE75s but always seem to be missing an area, so it definitely looks like I'll need something additional.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Filling a dead spot in an XE75 mesh
2024-01-06 13:01:41

@Shaun_TheDiver 

Can you lay Ethernet cable from one of XE75s up to the where camera is? Yes, you said camera is wireless, but with Ethernet cable connected on one end to Deco unit and another end terminating not far from the camera, there may be additional options available.

If not, what is approximate distance from the nearest XE75 to camera?

Finally, does your camera run on 2.4GHz only or can it run on WiFi5 (5GHz)?

Options
2024-01-06 13:33:08

Hi @Alexandre. 

Not much chance of running any cables without some major work being involved.

My house is a 220 year old, stone built building with thick walls, and the only way of running any cables is to uplift flooring and floorboards.

Straight line distance from the camera to the nearest Deco is only about 5 meters, but through 2 thick walls.

It's a 2.4Ghz camera only. It does intermittently pick up a very weak signal, which is why I'm wondering if there's a cheaper option than another XE75 which I can place closer to the camera that will give it a wee boost?

Options
2024-01-06 13:50:40

@Shaun_TheDiver 

There could be less expensive Deco models, but they might not have strong enough WiFi signal to penetrate walls. It would make sense to try some sort of wired link as close to wireless camera as possible, and attach inexpensive Deco unit or just WiFi range extender to it.

The last question: any chance you can have powerline adapters connected over electrical wiring through these walls? One adapter should be near camera, another near Deco unit.

If you can find electrical sockets on same circuit breaker that satisfy this requirement, I may have a solution for you. Electrical socket from same circuit breaker does not have to be at the closest to camera Deco unit, it can be at any Deco unit with free Ethernet port.

Options
2024-01-06 14:13:30

@Alexandre. 

I do have powerline adapters, and that's one option I was looking at. I'm already using them to connect one of my Decos as it was struggling through the walls.

It would mean purchasing a TL-WPA7617, which isn't too expensive.

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 277

Replies: 4

Related Articles