Archer C6 v2.0 intermittent connection drops with high CPU load

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-27 19:35:22
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.7 Build 20220613 rel.64828(4555)

Hi,

I have an Archer C6 v2, which I have been using since February or March this year, without any problems. However since last week or so, it is producing intermittent connection breaks. I suspect it is the router, because I don't just lose internet connection, I lose internal LAN connection to my home server as well. Each such connection break lasts for 5-10 seconds. It is somewhat annoying as I work from home office and attend a lot of online meetings.

What I noticed is that the router's status page shows usual CPU usage between 8 - 20%, memory usage is almost constantly at 34 - 35%. CPU usage sometimes spikes to 70-90%, or even 100% for a second or two and goes back down. I watched it during my last meeting, and I noticed the following, three times in a row:

1. CPU usage went to 85%, I lost connection on my meeting
  2. 1 second later, CPU usage went to 100%
  3. CPU usage remained at 100% for 6-7 seconds, there was no connection
  4. CPU usage went down to 25%, 1 second later connection came back

After investigation I found the unknown client connected to my wireless network. After I've switched on the access control and moved that clients MAC address to the blocked devices CPU usage fell down to 4-10% and spikes did not rise higher than 50%

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer C6 v2.0 intermittent connection drops with high CPU load
2023-07-28 07:18:54

@Zorander 

Hi, it is recommended to use Access Control Whitelist and add your own client devices into the list, which could ensure that all the other client devices are blocked.

However, please make sure your own client devices are not using private address or random mac address, or they will not be able to connect either.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options