Why does disabling Mesh prevent HomeKit devices from disconnecting?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-30 08:39:53
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

I bought a pair of Deco X20s and put one in my house (90 Square meters) and the other in my condo (45 square meters) which is about 420 kilometers from my house. . I have several HomeKit plugs at the condo. Their WiFi connection with the Deco was very erratic. Sometimes they'd stay up for weeks, sometimes for just a few hours. Power cycling reconnected them. The condo is quite small and almost every place in it is within line-of-sight of the Deco.

I took a couple of them from the condo to my home where they had no connection problems at all.

After fiddling around a bit at the condo I found that disabling Mesh Technology resolved the connection problem. Now they seem to stay connected at the condo all the time.

Can someone please explain what's going on here? Is it possible that the connection problems are caused by other nearby WiFi networks?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Why does disabling Mesh prevent HomeKit devices from disconnecting?
2022-12-01 06:09:48

@Ratsima 

Hi, Do you mean the Homekit devices dropped the connection in the condo but after turning off Mesh Technology in the condo, they became stable, while in the house, still using the same Deco X20 kits, Homekit devices work fine even with Mesh enabled?

I did see some smart home clients had an unstable connection because they did not support 802.11 k/v/r fast roaming protocol. In this way, we would suggest turning off Mesh Technology.

For more details, you may have a look at this link:Get to Know Fast Roaming / Seamless Roaming on a Deco System

Best regards.

Options
Re:Why does disabling Mesh prevent HomeKit devices from disconnecting?
2022-12-01 06:36:52

David-TP wrote

@Ratsima 

Hi, Do you mean the Homekit devices dropped the connection in the condo but after turning off Mesh Technology in the condo, they became stable, while in the house, still using the same Deco X20 kits, Homekit devices work fine even with Mesh enabled?

Yes, at the condo some, but not all, HomeKit devices disconnect with Mesh enabled. At home, none of the HomeKit devices, including some that failed at the condo, have connection problems. Mesh is enabled for all devices at home.

Since I only have one router in each location it makes no sense to have Mesh on anyway. I will disable it for all devices.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I get it now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 515

Replies: 2

Related Articles