Extending range/removing blind spots using E4 or M3W?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-05 17:21:41 - last edited 2021-10-05 17:31:11
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.3 Build 20200918 Rel. 74289

If have a Deco M4 system, but it doesn't cover some areas in my home. If i want to extend the range further, is it better to add a Deco E4 node (cheaper than M4) or the M3W (cheaper than E4)? The cost difference between E4 and M3W is not significant, but I am not sure which one performs better. I read that E4 has a 100mbps limit, though not sure if that's accurate or dated information.

Will use WiFi primarily for music and video streaming primarily, and not wired connections.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Extending range/removing blind spots using E4 or M3W?
2021-10-05 20:50:59 - last edited 2021-10-05 20:52:52

@ILoveWifi 

My personal preference would be E4.

Based purely on WiFi specs, E4 and M3W are identical. Yet, if you could call E4 a full size Deco unit, then M3W is compact size Deco unit. The question becomes, what hardware and performance sacrifices TP-Link had to make to squeeze everything into the compact unit? 

Without clear answer from the manufacturer, I'll go with full size unit: E4.

Deco E4 has two Ethernet ports, they are 100mbps. This is what you have read about, and it is not related to wireless performance. Other Deco units, such as M4, they have gigabit ports. From what you are saying, I can conclude you'll have E4 wirelessly connected to your existent mesh system. In that configuration, Deco unit Ethernet port speed makes no difference.

Even if you do not plan to connect anything by Ethernet cable to new Deco unit today, that might change in the future. 100mbps is more than enough for devices such as Smart TV or Android set-top box. Deco E4 has two Ethernet ports, M3W has none. In that respect, E4 is better choice.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 385

Replies: 1

Related Articles