Is my Internet/WAN input 2.5Gbps or 1Gbps ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-15 20:31:39 - last edited 2023-03-15 20:56:50
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

I have a 1.5 Gbps fibre internet connection. But I can't get over 900 Mbps on the speed test in the TP Link Admin Web Portal.

There was one time I did get 1100 Mbps download speed, but since then, I have rebooted the server and the modem, swapped cables to new Cat 8 ones etc.

When I look at the config in the Fibre Modem it says 1222 Mbps on the GUI, but this looks like its a static value, not the actual dynamic speed of the traffic.

It does show the Cat 8 internet cable is plugged into the correct 10Gpbs port. The Tp-link Wifi router then takes that cat 8 LAN cable into the 2.5 Gbps port correctly.

However when I look at the TP Link AX6000 Router Web Portal, I can see the WAN/Internet port says 1000 Mbps - Full Duplex

So is this Internet port showing the current connection speed - or is this also just a label on the GUI ? And should it be showing 2.5 Gbps or 2500 Mbps as thats my supposed to be my connection speed ? Or is this actually the correct current setting - and is my modem only outputting 1000 Mbps (even though it says its higher ? So if I can finally get the correct speed out of the modem will this change to 2.5 Gbps ?

The intenet port negotiation speed on the TP Link web portal is set correctly and explicitly to 2500 Mbps - see below. So is my problem the modem, or the TP Link router ?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Is my Internet/WAN input 2.5Gbps or 1Gbps ?
2023-03-15 21:28:16

@marcusob 

Your issue here may be the mixing of port speeds.. 

2.5gb ports are called MultiGig and are known in some instances to not detect correctly on 10gb interfaces.  10gb is the natural replacement for 1gb LAN, multigig sort of came out after as a interm / mid way solution and isnt always supported.

So your ISP has a 10gb port, you would need to check if that SFP / Port is supportive of multigig, as said its not uncommon for these to be just   10gb/1000/100

The last picture sorta confirms this as the port on the AX6000 is negotiating at 1000mbps and not multigig.    You may be able to force this setting manually on both sides and it will work, or you may need to change the SFP in the ISP modem (if it has one).    SFP is a plug in type module adaptor, these are replaceable.   If so look for a 2.5gb one

Hope that helps!

Options
2023-03-16 07:46:06 - last edited 2023-03-16 07:48:47

@Philbert 

Thanks for the information. This has helped to resolve my problem !

I can now get over 1Gbps on the TP link Wifi router as this speed test shows

I simply changed the router setting from 2.5 Gbps to Auto-Negotiation.

This is interesting because when I first set all this up I couldn't get above 1Gbps using the auto negotiate setting, but when I changed it to 2.5Gpbs it then starting working, and I got a few tests at > 1Gbps. Then it stopped working at > 1Gbps, and would only give 900 Mbps (even after rebooting everything a few times).

Now the solution seems to be to change that setting back to Auto, and now I am getting > 1Gbps. I suspect you are correct the handshake/negotiation between the modem and the router is flaky/failing intermittently to get the higher speed.

I will also ask Telus to check the modem specs, and make sure it works with 2.5Gbps via the 10 Gbps port to a 2.5Gpbs WAN port, and not only work at 10Gbps or 1 Gbps speed like you suggested. Thanks again.

Options
2023-03-16 23:07:39

@marcusob 

Happy days, glad you got sorted!  

Yea auto-detection on multi-gig is still a bit ropey sometimes, least its working now for you.   Enjoy the superfast speeds! :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3881

Replies: 3

Related Articles