How to turn-off the internet completely, one click so kids faking sick at home cant game

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to turn-off the internet completely, one click so kids faking sick at home cant game

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-29 03:33:43 - last edited 2023-08-29 14:50:17
Model: Deco X50-DSL  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have the Deco App installed on my Samsung.

How do I disable the 'whole internet' while I'm not at home, I have 25+ things connected and its too hard to figure what kid is on what device, so I just want to kill all wifi remotely?

Kids keep chucking sickies and staying home from school pretending to be sick and then playing online games.

I just need something to disable all access to the WiFi for the day until I get home, it more or less a punishment.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to turn-off the internet completely, one click so kids faking sick at home cant game-Solution
2023-08-29 11:38:38 - last edited 2023-08-29 14:50:17

@Nielo 

You can do what you want by changing WiFi password for Main Network. When you want to allow access to WiFi, restore original WiFi password. 

First time you do that, check if devices already connected to Deco mesh will be forced to disconnect. If not, if they stay connected after password change, there is one more step: reboot Deco mesh. This can be done through Deco app, too: More/System/Reboot Deco.

Note that this only disables WiFi. Access to the Internet will still work through Ethernet ports of Deco units. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:How to turn-off the internet completely, one click so kids faking sick at home cant game-Solution
2023-08-29 11:38:38 - last edited 2023-08-29 14:50:17

@Nielo 

You can do what you want by changing WiFi password for Main Network. When you want to allow access to WiFi, restore original WiFi password. 

First time you do that, check if devices already connected to Deco mesh will be forced to disconnect. If not, if they stay connected after password change, there is one more step: reboot Deco mesh. This can be done through Deco app, too: More/System/Reboot Deco.

Note that this only disables WiFi. Access to the Internet will still work through Ethernet ports of Deco units. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:How to turn-off the internet completely, one click so kids faking sick at home cant game
2023-08-29 14:49:42

@Alexandre. Yes that is one way to accomplish the desired outcome and it works as I have tried this thank you, 

Seems silly that know easier method exists.

Options
Re:How to turn-off the internet completely, one click so kids faking sick at home cant game
2023-08-29 15:20:01 - last edited 2023-08-29 15:20:32

@Nielo 

Another option would have been to put everyone on Guest Network and turn it on/off. There is ON/OFF toggle for Guest Network in Deco mesh, but I would not recommend that: unfortunately, when Guest Network turned off, all its settings including SSID/password will be reset. When enabling Guest Network back one will have to re-enter all that info.

Too bad, because this would have been one click WiFi turn off/on, as you wanted. 

This is also my first time with any WiFi router where turning off its WiFi resets SSID/password. Usually WiFi router keeps that info.

Options