What is the Traffic flow between line adapter?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-07-24 02:01:12
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,

I intend to put 4 powerline adapters at work.
How does the traffic flow between these adapters?
Does the traffic from a 'slave' adapter flow always to the 'master' first?
Or is there a direct connection between the source and destination adapter?

Reason for asking is that I have two boxes placed in different rooms. Both will be connected to a different adapter. Not being the master.

Thanx Jaap
Options
4 Reply
Re:What is the Traffic flow between line adapter?
2017-07-24 13:38:18
Normally, PLC adapters are strictly peer-to-peer, everyone can talk to everyone. Some few have management software that lets you switch to a single master multiple slaves topology. I've seen that with devolo "pro" series only, all others do peer-to-peer and nothing else.
One of the PLCs automagically becomes the "central coordinator" of the PLC network, typically the very first one you plug in when deploying them. This has no relevance for day to day operation.
Options
2017-07-25 14:34:22
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your reply.
Now I know I can connect my two mediaboxes (master/slave) that need a fast connection for communication,streaming etc to two fast pa's, e.g. AV2000.
And e.g. two slower pa's for direct connections like desktop and wifi connections for laptops and smartphones.

PS. I 'discovered' that the TP-WPA9610 Kit contains just one wifi pa and one non-wifi pa. Naming this a WIFI kit is misleading information in my opinion. A Wifi kit should contain two Wifi capable pa's.
Options
2017-07-25 15:11:46
Two WiFi PAs would be rather pointless. Typically, what you buy these for is so you can have a 2nd WiFi access point away from your main router. So the simple PLC goes where your router is, and the WLAN-enabled one goes into that remote place where the router's WiFi is weak.

Don't mix fast and slow PLCs on the same wiring. Remember this is a shared media network, where slower transmissions take a larger timeslice out of the shared media, thus slowing down the fast transmissions. Use the same technology throughout.
Options
2017-07-26 15:00:11
Hi Peter,
Thanks again.
You are right about shared medium usage - don't mix fast and slow. Worked with thick and thin ethernet, hubs way back :).
In cases where you have a router that also is an access-point placing a Wi-Fi capable pa near that router would be overdone. However I use non-Wi-Fi routers and I think I am not the only one. E.g. i use Sophos UTM on a VMware box.
About the misleading part, I interpreted the kit: AV2000 Gigabit Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit TL-[SIZE=2]WPA9610 as having two Wi-Fi capable pa's. My mistake perhaps. I do think that it should be pointed out more clearly in the advertisement.[/SIZE]
By reading the specifications of the WPA9610 kit you read that there are two different types of interfaces, actually models. Only then it became clear for me there was just one Wi-Fi capable pa.
And with other Wi-Fi kits, like the WPA8730, you might find it out because then you under Dimensions two different models are mentioned.

Greetz Jaap
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 608

Replies: 4

Related Articles