How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

402 Reply
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2020-11-12 19:37:58 - last edited 2020-11-12 19:40:03

@Smartmove 

Is the 3th deco using ethernet backhaul? It should visible in the app

And is the powerline adapter on the same electrical phase as the recieving powerlineadapter?

Options
2020-11-12 20:47:58

@Smartmove Sounds like the problem is weak powerline links.

If you have the option, you can re-use coax wiring in the residence to get wired ethernet, see this article: https://evenroute.com/networking-coax-option

It is much more reliable than powerline.

Options
2020-11-17 03:39:11

@TP-Link Deco , I'm having major issues with setup.

Is there something wrong with my setup? My Deco M5 cannot connect to the internet. Please help.

Options
2020-11-29 06:36:12

@TP-Link Deco Hello, I have some X60 et M9plus and want to use them all as AP with a wired network (ethernet backhaul), using this configuration:

- One Netgear switch

- Internet Router providing DHCP connected to the switch

- Each Deco is wire-connected to the switch (in AP mode)

Question: what is the role of the "MAIN" Deco?

Does it handle all network flows from wifi devices connected to slave Deco, or is it just a role of the Deco network managemement (coonfiguration, statistics, etc.)? I guess that no, but to be sure.

Thank you

Options
2020-11-29 14:18:29 - last edited 2020-11-30 12:31:55

@tmhlc 

I don't know for sure, but I have a strong inkling the Master role in AP mode is primarily 'mesh management' ... and it may also be the "keeper of statistics" which are reported by the app; that is, the app "asks" from the Master Deco, and it supplies the info (which it may do by using the backhaul to query each of the other Decos, or it may have been keeping those statistics continually updated all along -- although they could have also implemented distributed copies of that stats to each Deco, and the app's client connected-Deco could supply its copy ... but I doubt it's that sophisticated at this point).  I suspect the Master is also probably the primary role in adding / removing new Decos to the network (which it definitely would be doing in non-AP mode as well) -- that is, it provides the network configuration defaults to a newly-joining node.  Which is why I recommend setting up a new node physically near the Master node (so setup will be smooth & quick), then moving it to its final location.

I'd be really surprised if data traffic was forced through the Master (when it is not physically configured on the network as a router); that would be sort of counter to the whole design of a mesh.

Only the TP-link/Deco architects/developers know for sure. 

FYI: Your setup is similar to mine (substituting X20/3600 for M9's; one of my X20's uses wireless backhaul)

Options
2020-11-30 08:03:46

Hello

I have connected a lan cable (yellow) directly 

From the master to the lan point and linked to the slave deco. This is for the eternet backbone. Not usinh switches. 

But it doesnt detect the lan connection. 

Any configuration that i need to do using the app? 

@TP-Link Deco 

Options
2020-11-30 12:27:28

@Chriskoh Since it doesn't appear that you are using this as a router device, you should change the "Operating Mode" to AP (Access Point).

On the default screen (Overview), tap the "More" at lower right, then "Advanced".  "Operating Mode" is shown there: Tap that to see the next screen and select "Access Point" instead of the default "Router".  Once that configuration change is saved and the device reboots, that 'mode' will be "inherited" by each subsequent Deco you add to the mesh.

Options
2020-12-01 13:59:33

@TP-Link Deco 

Hi, I have a deco x60 and I'm using the ethernet backhaul feature. Works great however I have an extremely high latency problem now, around 200 Ms to my server compaird with my old router from 2007 that had 10-40 Ms. Is this some kind of software issues

Options
2020-12-02 18:03:38 - last edited 2020-12-02 19:32:08

@TP-Link Deco 

Hi, I've set up my network as follows (in what I would understand is the Star Newtork described in https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/), configured the network with all Decos wirelessly and then plugged the ethernet cables into the second and third, but when the two slaves are connected I completely lose internet connection:

Modem > Deco M5 (Main)

Deco M5 (Main) > Apple Time Capsule (Bridge mode)

LAN 1 port on Apple TC > Deco M5 (Second) 

LAN 1 port on Apple TC > Deco M5 (Third)

Deco system set up in Router Mode.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Thanks.

Chris

Options
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5
2020-12-05 07:20:28
Options
Related Articles