How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices

402 Reply
Re:How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with your Deco devices
2023-06-13 15:29:41

@TP-Link Deco 

Hello, about 18 months after I was last here and got some helpful advice, I'm back with the same problem - basically involving ethernet backhaul and a switch.

To explain - I have the following setup, in access point mode. I have 3x M5s (inc main) and one M4. The ethernet backhaul is critical since our house has four stories and steel-reinforced concrete floors - the communication between the Decos via wireless is therefore extremely patchy and not reliable.

Whilst on holiday I got some alerts that various smart devices were suddenly offline. I checked in the deco app and could see that the decos were only talking wirelessly to one another. Remote reboots did not solve this. Came home, wasted many hours fiddling and no result. I bodged a network by placing 2x spare M4s in the stairwell to create a stronger wireless connection. Then, about a week later after another plugging and unplugging all of a sudden things started to work again - Ethernet backhaul up and running - OK back to normal. Lasted 2 weeks, then down again.

I've just finished some more fiddling - I can establish the following:

- If I link one remote deco directly to the main deco via patch panel, the ethernet backhaul works. The remote deco also has a smarthome controller connected via ethernet. This works fine

- Using the above standard setup with main deco=>Switch but connecting ONLY ethernet devices (e.g. PC, TV, smart controllers etc) to the switch, all connected devices work OK. Other remote decos remain connected via wireless only

- As soon as I connect another Deco to the switch via ethernet, everything stops working again

The modem router I have is an Archer VR600 - haven't made any changes here. Wireless is of course switched off.

Based on the findings above, there is obviously some kind of conflict/loop being created by connecting the Decos via Ethernet and switch, but I cannot understand how to solve it. Any ideas gratefully received!

Options
2023-07-12 05:00:49

@Matt1979 

I am having all kinds of DHCP conflict issue now as well.. 

I run a ASUS AC68U and it won't allow me to get and hold the IP address from my ISP.

Can we run old firmware to avoid this nonsense?

Options
2023-07-12 07:52:08

@illtww 

Hi, welcome to the community.

It is suggested to start a new thread here to tell us more about your current issue, such as the model number and firmware version.

It would also be highly appreciated if you could also share a picture of your network topology.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-08-21 19:30:18

@TP-Link Deco Can the ethernet port on a remote mesh AP be used to connect a wired device?

Options
2023-08-22 07:55:37

@Brugibso 

Yes! You could wire a computer or NAS as well as other wired devices.

Options
2023-09-14 06:58:12

@TP-Link Deco 

Hi! Thank you very much for your support.

In some days, I'm going to install Starlink wit Deco EX75 Pro using the a Main Deco as router and the other DECOS as satellites. 

Before proceeding, I'd like to ask some confirmation:

1. Before wiring backhaul, it's necessary to connect all the Decos via Wi-Fi

2. Only after having connected the DECOS via Wi-Fi, I can wire all the Decos

3. The very first installation of Starlink can be directly made with the Main DECO connected to the ethernet adapter with Starlink modem in by pass mode.     

Thanks again for your time.

Options
2023-09-14 10:06:44

@Cudi65 

Hi,

It does not have to set up Deco via Wi-Fi first, then connect them via Ethernet cable later. I mean, if you already wired each together first, you are still able to finish the quick setup process on Deco APP.  I think you might worry about the loop connection. 

For the latest XE models, the units in the same package are pre-configured so basically, after setting up the main Deco, once powered on the satellite Deco XE75s, they would join into the Mesh Network automatically.

And you are right about the Starlink Setup and for more details, you could also refer to this FAQ:https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3647/

Thank you very much.

Options
2023-09-14 12:28:30 - last edited 2023-09-14 14:45:30

@David-TP 

Thank you very much for your time and professionalism.

Do you mean, I can start the very initial setup process through the Main DECO with all satellites already wired and powered up? 

PS: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1794/ , pararagraph 1, Q2     

Options
2023-09-15 00:56:57

@Cudi65 

Hi, 

you could wire them first but try to power on the main Deco only during the first setup.

Since all the Deco XE75 Pros in the same package are the same and will broadcast a default Wi-Fi Deco_XXXX (the last 4 characters of the MAC address)  for setup, It will confuse the Deco APP to figure out which one is the main Deco.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-09-25 04:39:15

@TP-Link Deco 

TP-Link Deco wrote

Ethernet Backhaul is a feature that makes it possible to wire the Deco units together to optimize the bandwidth and network stability.
Normally, after wired Deco units with an Ethernet cable, the Ethernet backhaul will take effect automatically. 

Here are some typical connection structures for Ethernet Backhaul:

Frequently Ask Questions

Q1: Which switch models support Ethernet backhaul?

Most of the switches on the market support Deco's Ethernet backhaul feature. If you don’t have a switch or if your switch is verified not compatible with Deco Ethernet Backhaul, the following models will be a good choice:https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/all-soho-switch/

Q2: To use the Ethernet Backhaul feature, do I need to wire all my Deco units?

Nope. The following network layout works as well.

Q3: How do I know if Ethernet Backhaul takes effect?

Q4: Why my satellite Deco's signal source shows "Wi-Fi" instead of "Ethernet" in the Deco app even if the main Deco and the satellite Deco are connected to the same switch?

Please refer to the suggestions on this link:Ethernet Backhaul not working

Q5: Why my Deco units become unstable once they're connected via a switch?

The Deco Ethernet backhaul feature is based on the standard IEEE 1905.1 protocol. However, we find that some switches, mainly the D-Link switches, will not forward packets based on IEEE 1905.1 protocol, causing all Deco units in a network loop and becoming quite unstable, you might consider changing another switch or contacting switch’s support directly. TP-Link Switches are mostly compatible with our Deco’s Ethernet backhaul.

Q6: Can I set up different Deco models such as M5 and M9 Plus together through Ethernet backhaul?

Yes, just configure and add different Deco models in the same Deco network. After that, you can wire them to set up the Ethernet backhaul connection.

You could refer to the link to know how to add different Deco models in the same network.

Q7: Can I use one Ethernet port on the Deco for Ethernet backhaul and the other to connect a computer?

Yes. On the main Deco, one Ethernet port should connect to the modem/router to get internet, the other Ethernet port can be used for Ethernet backhaul, or connect to a computer.

Related Article: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
Related Articles