TD-W8968 freezes and is unstable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-02-25 06:07:31
Region : NewZealand

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : 140514

ISP : Vodafone NZ

I purchased this router in December 2014.
Initially I set the router to use an IP address of 10.1.1.1 as my home network was using the 10.1.1.X IP address range.
The router would work for a while - anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days and then it would freeze.
The internet could not be accessed by any devices.
The router would respond to a ping of its address.
The router web interface would not respond.
The lights on the router all indicated that everything was normal.
A power off/on would fix it for a while until it froze again.

I raised a call via the TP-Link ticketing system and was told I should use the default router IP address (192.168.1.1). I reconfigured the devices on my home network to use this IP address range and reset the router back to factory defaults. It ran ok for a couple of weeks.

I realised in the last couple of days that my wifi is running in b/g/n mode and also using a channel that my neighbors are using.
I changed the wifi to just use n only and set the channel to 6 (which is not being used near by).
Since making that change the router has frozen several times exactly as described above.
ie The indicator lights all look normal, The internet can not be accessed and the routers web interface does not respond.

I have never had this sort of problem with a TP-Link router before - Is my unit faulty and should I return it for replacement?
Options
4 Reply
Re:TD-W8968 freezes and is unstable
2015-02-25 18:01:07
Hi,

If you hunt around this forum, you will see quite a few of us have had similar issues. I am now on my third TD-W9980 as the first two were replaced being deemed faulty. The third router started to exhibit the same problems as the first two so I reopened my support ticket with TP-Link.

This time, I was handed to someone in second line support who suggested disabling UPNP on the router. This has stopped the wifi drops and broadband hanging but, as I told TP-Link, is only a workaround.

They really need to investigate this deeper and issue a firmware fix to correct it.
Options
2015-02-26 05:13:55

freddyg wrote

Hi,

If you hunt around this forum, you will see quite a few of us have had similar issues. I am now on my third TD-W9980 as the first two were replaced being deemed faulty. The third router started to exhibit the same problems as the first two so I reopened my support ticket with TP-Link.

This time, I was handed to someone in second line support who suggested disabling UPNP on the router. This has stopped the wifi drops and broadband hanging but, as I told TP-Link, is only a workaround.

They really need to investigate this deeper and issue a firmware fix to correct it.

Thanks Freddy - The old W8860 that I had been using was rock solid - this thing (8968) seems very flaky - as soon as you change anything much in the settings it seems to be enough for it to start playing up. I did wonder how I managed to buy a v2 model when they appear to have had a v3 on the market for a while....

If its a known hardware issue I would like someone from TP-Link to actually say it should be replaced - makes it much easier taking it back to the place I bought it from..
Options
2015-02-26 13:57:19
@robjg63 Did you try to disable UPNP as Freddy shares?
If you want someone from TP-Link to confirm, you'd better report the problem here.
http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
Options
2015-02-27 05:47:37
Thanks Mavis - I have updated the support ticket that I originally raised in January.

If this router can not support UPNP without becoming unstable then it would be a good thing if TP-Link either disables UPNP in the firmware - or fixes the issue.
I need to research if disabling UPNP on my home network will cause issues.
Will it stop some software from working - Will it cause my wireless printer to stop working etc etc.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 695

Replies: 4

Related Articles