"•Supports IGMP managed multicast IP transmission, optimizes IPTV streaming" ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-05-25 19:40:12
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-PA411KIT

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP : BT

The title is taken from the specs for these PLA's.

I am having trouble viewing and recording multicast channels on my BT Vision service. Is there anything I need to do to my PLA's to ensure they are set up optimally for both multicast and unicast programmes?
Options
3 Reply
Re:"•Supports IGMP managed multicast IP transmission, optimizes IPTV streaming" ?
2014-06-30 10:12:03
No, you don't need to do anything about your powerline products as TP-LINK powerline products are all pug and play which means zero configuration.
Maybe there is no enough bandwidth in your powerline circuit which affects your IPTV performance.

Anyway, you can use the TP-LINK powerline utility to check the powerline speed among your TP-LINK powerline adapters.
Make sure powerline speed is high enough. If not, it means there is too much electric noise in your powerline circuit, and you can try to turn off some appliances to reduce this electric noise.
Options
Re:"•Supports IGMP managed multicast IP transmission, optimizes IPTV streaming" ?
2014-07-07 02:07:58
Hi All,

I too have some issues with IPTV, although it isn't BT Vision in my case.

I have three PA551's which connect various parts of the house together. In order to fully support the network I had before the PA's (with CATV which I'm not allowed anymore, why, because I got married and the wife won't accept it :P), I use 802.1Q capable switches/firewalls to connect everything together.

Here's the topology.

In one part of the house (where the TV aerial is presented), I have a Linux IPTV server which runs MythTV for scheduling/recording based on transmitted EPG data via the TV aerial, and MumuDVB to decode the TV broadcasts into multicast streams which are announced via SAP, and multicast across the network with PIM Dense Mode. The Juniper EX2200C acts as the Rendezvous Point for multicast so I can listen to streams even when on a different VLAN (hence PIM Dense Mode).

Since moving to the PA551, I no longer see SAP announcements on VLC Media Player, and I can't manually watch an RTP stream by entering the URL (e.g rtp://239.10.0.10:1234).

The EX2200C see's the multicast announcements from the MumuDVB application as I can 'show igmp groups' on the CLI of the switch, but I can't watch anything.

MumuDVB also has the ability to present the stream in Unicast accessible via a playlist.m3u file. With this, I CAN watch the stream so I don't believe this is down to bandwidth issues with the PA551's.

Monitoring the switchport on the HP which connects to the PA551, I see it's output is at the level I'd expect for the 72 channels MumuDVB is sending (about 30Mbps)

Internet browsing also goes via another VLAN over the PA551's, and that happily trundles away at 60Mbps via an FTTC connection on the public side of the SRX firewall.

I've opened a case with Support, but thought I'd post here to see if anyone has had similar issues, and whether they have a possible solution?

Cheers
Andy
File:
PA551-Topology.jpgDownload
Options
2014-07-07 17:43:03
Hi All,

My problems is fixed. Disabling IGMP-Snooping on the Juniper EX switch allowed the SAP announcements to be seen by clients on remote VLANs. After a few emails with support, the PA551 has IGMP snooping capabilities, so will propagate the multicast streams when it see's them. I believe the EX switch and PA were conflicting.

Looking good now :)

Cheers
Andy
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1038

Replies: 3

Related Articles