Deco network not usable when internet router down

Tuesday - last edited Tuesday
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.5

Not 100% sure on the hardware version number

So Im in the UK and have a virgin media superhub2 (which is not great) which I then have connected to a decox55 mesh network.

I have the deco running in wifi router mode and connected to the hub (which is also in router mode).. basically double nat..

It was/is all working fine but then the virgin router goes belly up for a number of days and wont connect to the internet. What I then found was that even though the deco wifi was up I was unable to connect to the dec  hub with the app reliably . It would either time out, or work for a min or two then disconnect.

Any idea why? I would expect the deco network to work fine even if the main internet was down , of course dns etc wouldnt work, but im using ip addresses.

edit :  Alas internet is back up and running and everything running as normal, but any ideas why this was happening?

Any ideas?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco network not usable when internet router down
Tuesday

@BigRedMan 

With Virgin Media if your main Virgin router/modem is down there is no other way to connect to the internet and the behaviour you describe in your post is correct. IE: Deco network will still be live but with no internet connection.

BT Full fibre 500, 2x M9 Plus V2 and 1x X60 V3.2 in AP mode connected to Archer C80.
Options
Re:Deco network not usable when internet router down
Tuesday - last edited Tuesday

Hi klipse

Sorry, I wasnt very clear. Yes I know that if the virgin router is down then the internet wont work but I discovered that when the virgin router is having a bad day(no ip address, no network , totally borked) I was unable to access my local lan (e.g. my home assistant server or webcams). Also I noticed the Deco App wouldnt connect, even though it was on the same wifi..

thank you btw

Options