REF: Pre-release Firmware for Archer AX55 V1 1.3.3 Brings a Host of New Features and Optimizations

REF: Pre-release Firmware for Archer AX55 V1 1.3.3 Brings a Host of New Features and Optimizations

Yesterday - last edited Yesterday
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: pre-release V1 1.3.3

Hi again - sorry to be such a drag.

With reference to the sudden closure of the thread:

Closed-Pre-release Firmware for Archer AX55 V1 1.3.3 Brings a Host of New Features and Optimizations

I quote from the above original post:

Additional Information

As always, we value your feedback. If somehow you encounter an issue during or after the router firmware upgrade, it's suggested to comment below with the following info. Your input helps us continue to improve and provide the best possible products and support.
•  Model, hardware version, and firmware version of your router.
•  Detailed issue description, and provide more information on the specific conditions that seem to trigger the problem.

I would like to point out that I am helping TP-Link by evaluating a pre-release firmware. I do not have a problem that someone from Senior Support is supposed to fix for me alone. I am simply giving TP-Link the requested feed-back and it would be an appropriate guesture from TP-Link to acknowlege if the reported bugs exist or not - and off course transfer relevant information  to the R&D section - I hope this is the reason for asking for feed-back about the pre-release.

To sum up: I have observed the folloowing issues:

1/

When running EasyMesh in AccessPoint mode (with Ethernet Backhaul) clients connected to the Satellite AP cannot be seen on the Master AP and hence not managed/Binded to the satellite AP. They should appear on the Master under "Advanced | EasyMesh" and you should be able to bind clients on the Satellite to the Satellite AP via the web interface of the Master AP. Everything is in place, but Satellite connected clients will never appear in the list on the Master.

If I pull out the Ethernet cable of the Satellite AP - hereby forcing it into normal WiFi based Mesh mode - the Master AP is now able to see and manage clients on the Satellite.

Re-inserting the Ethernet cable - hereby forcing the AX55s back to use Ethernet Backhaul - makes the Master AX55 revert back to NOT showing Satellite connected clients. This must be a bug!

My only response to this issue from Senior Support was:

"There's no function about binding client to specific AP so far, but we plan to add that later, so no need to worry about it."

Waoo... I need to quote from original post again:

New Features:

1. EasyMesh R2 AP Bind and Client Bind:

Simplified network management with the ability to bind specific clients to designated access points.

(Accompanied by a detailed picture of how to bind a satellite connected clients to the satellite AP using the WebGUI of the master AP :-)  

So if someone out there can reproduce the above client issue only when running in Ethernet Backhaul mode - please inform us here in the forum in order to help TP-Link and to ensure me and others what to expect of this new firmware.

2/

Very often the AX55 renews its DHCP lease (about every 35 secs). Senior Support claims this is due to Smart DHCP - i.e. the AX55 scans the main DHCP server in order to detect when to kick in its own local DHCP server - in case the main DHCP server is down. Fair answer - but this constant DHCP request should be stopped if you stop the local DHCP server on the AX55 AP. This is not a bug but only a sub-optimal design that in my opinion sends out lots of irrelevant packages on the network.

3/

One last thing: Setting up a GUEST WiFi Network SSID while the AX55 is in Acces Point Mode and un-ticking:

- Allow guests to see each other

- Allow guests to access your local network

does not seem to work at all - this is a critical security issue!.

3A/ I would really like to know how this isolation is supposed to work - especially in Acces Point mode in combination with EasyMesh & Ethernet Backhaul.

3B/ If LAN isolation it is not supposed to work in Access Point mode why is the setting still visible when the AX55 is in Access Point mode?

Cheers to you all

zEnterHacker

Options
2 Reply
Re:REF: Pre-release Firmware for Archer AX55 V1 1.3.3 Brings a Host of New Features and Optimizations
2 hours ago

@zEnterHacker 

Hi, thanks for posting feedback here.

Sorry for the confusion caused. It is a not sudden thing to close that Pre-release thread, as there has been official firmware released on the official website and you may check via the Online Update on the web UI of the router. So we closed it.

As for your additional information about the beta firmware, I have reported to the senior support. And they will take further research.

Options
Re:REF: Pre-release Firmware for Archer AX55 V1 1.3.3 Brings a Host of New Features and Optimizations
2 minutes ago

Hi  @Marvin_S 

Thanks for your assistance, So the pre-release (Archer AX55(EU)_V1_1.3.3 Build 20240628) has now become the official release including issues detected during the pre-testing period) I understand frown

Some of the new features are:

6.Add support for EasyMesh in AP mode;
7.Add support for EasyMesh Network via Ethernet Backhaul;
9.Add isolation of Guest Network and Main Network in AP mode;

Could you please give us an understanding of how this Guest Network isolation is supposed to work in AP mode when f.i. two AX55a are connected to each other via the two LAN Switch ports only and are operating in Ethernet Backhaul EasyMesh mode?

Since Access Points are normally directly connected to a LAN network (to give Access to this LAN network) - then In your answer please include:

1/ What is the TP-Link recommended network topology for two AX55 Acces Points running in Ethernet Backhaul mode in combination with a third party firewall?

2/ If not blocking all traffic - then which IP ports/IP addresses a are supposed to be blocked by this Guest Network isolation?

If You need time to consult with Senior Engineering - that's OK with me, bul please post a relevant answer here in this thread - thanks

zEnterHacker

Options