GE800 physical buttons (LED/Wifi) & heat issues

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Tags: #physical buttons

Hello. I just picked up the GE800 and updated the firmware. The problem I'm having is with the physical buttons (Wifi and LED buttons). On my old router, I had my wifi set with hidden SSID. There is a button on the router I can press to turn the wifi on/off and have the SSID remain hidden, and I can connect to it anytime and know when it's on/off since the button lights up.

I'm looking for the same on the GE800, but the issue I'm running into is this with wifi:

1. Set wifi to Enabled/on via 192.168.0.1 Wireless settings. My phone detects it and connects to it (Either hidden SSID or normal). 

2. Press the physical wifi button on the router for 2-3 seconds -> Turns off wifi on phone as expected

3. Press the physical wifi button for 2-3 seconds again -> Wifi never turns back on

I would have to return to 192.168.0.1 or the Wireless section where I left off and Refresh the page to have my phone connect to wifi again, even though my phone has auto-reconnect enabled.

For the LED, I would like it so that if wifi is off, it doesn't keep blinking orange and can show other effects--basically give user the ability to ignore error statuses (blinking red, blinking orange, blinking yellow, blinking blue) and show the selected RGB effect. It would also have been nice if the physical buttons light up to show if the function is on/off, rather than bright LEDs.

Please address these issues ASAP. This is a premium/expensive router and these functions should work like any other router. Having to refresh the setup/config page to turn wifi back on while having a physical LED button doesn't make sense--it's one of the main reasons I went for this router, so my family can turn wifi on/off when they need it without fiddling with a browser. Also to note, the router gets quite hot and the fan has never turned on. I had to use a mini fan to cool it off.

Options
4 Reply
Re:GE800 physical buttons (LED/Wifi) & heat issues
a week ago

@sephknite 

Hi, thanks for posting question here.

About your first problem, may I confirm whether you press the WiFi button to turn off WiFi  and immediately press the WiFi  button to turn on WiFi  button immediately?

After pressing WiFi  button to turn off WiFi , it is suggested to wait for several minutes, then press the WiFi button to turn it on. Then you may check whether the problem you mentioned still remains.

2.About the LED design, thanks for your feedback.As it is an internal LED indicator design and cannot be customized by customers. Anyway, we will log your request first.

3.About the hot issue,  we confirmed that the fan operates only when the temperature reaches a certain threshold. If it isn't running, it may be that the current temperature is within an acceptable range.

However, if you find that the router feels hot, it’s essential to ensure that it has adequate ventilation and is not obstructed.

If the temperature continues to be a concern or if the fan does not activate when it should, please help provide the below information, then we can investigate it further:

1. What is the room or ambient temperature at that time?

2. Whether any device was connected to the router's SFP port. If the SFP port is in use, could you provide an approximate temperature for the SFP port?

Thanks for your cooperation~

Options
Monday

@Marvin_S 

Hello. I did some more testing with the wifi/LED

For the wifi button:

1. The 'workaround' I found is to turn on/off my wifi on my phone to scan/detect wifi (even though I have my phone's wifi scan frequency to high). I notice it takes more than 2 seconds to have it turn the wifi on/off *reliably*. My old router's wifi  turned on/off with just 1-1.5 seconds on the button-press, and I can see the wifi button light up when it's turned on almost instantly, and then take about 20 seconds to connect to my phone. It would have been great if it takes less than 2 seconds for the GE800 and make it a toggle instead of a hold-down on the button.

2. I've tested it where I have the wifi off for hours, and press the wifi button 3 seconds. It takes a rang of 48 seconds - 1 minute+ to have my phone connect to the wifi. If I turn my phone's wifi on/off to refresh the scans, it *sometimes* connects faster, but not always. So seems to me that turning on the wifi via the physical button is inconsistent alongside the browser config, which takes something like 35-40 seconds to connect if I turn my phone's wifi on/off. Overall, I feel like the wifi connection function for this router is not very polished.

For the LED, this was not something I really cared about; just an extra feature that no one will see since the router is inside a closet, which leads to the heat issue. The router is placed inside a closet that usually has the door open. I have heard the fan turn on a few times, but when it doesn't turn on, it feels hot at the bottom of the router. If I were to keep this unit, I may consider picking up a USB fan just to keep it cool. The closet temperature is about 67F-70F degrees, so it's not hot at all and has the door always open. My previous router would get a little warm, but nothing like the GE800. All my connections use the RJ45 ports, nothing connected to the SFP.

Options
Monday

@sephknite 

Hi, thanks for your detailed update.

May I confirm model of your old router? I think the reaction time of WiFi is related to the design difference. Also, Archer GE800 is a WiFi7 router with more ports and more complex wireless module design, it may take a little more time to react.

And for the heat issue, is it possible to share the temperature of Archer GE800 itself? (Sorry that I forgot to ask in last reply.)

Then I will feedback senior support for further investigation.

Thanks for your cooperation~

Options
Tuesday - last edited Tuesday

@Marvin_S 

My previous router is the Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC4000 (R8000P).

Temperatures:

Top of router: 86 - 109 degrees Fahrenheit, with the hottest being in the center

Bottom/underside of router: 99 - 126 degrees Fahrenheit, with the hottest being in the center

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 104

Replies: 4

Tags

physical buttons
Related Articles