Deco M4: Access Point vs WiFi Router Coverage

2024-09-12 10:00:24 - last edited 2024-09-12 10:15:41
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

I recently changed my Deco to Access Point mode because the Parental Controls are so poor and I wanted to make use of Sky Broadband shield settings. However, since doing that the coverage seems to be far worse than it was when I was using it in Wi-Fi Router mode. For example, a previous blackspot I had which was not an issue in Router mode is suddenly a problem now in AP mode.

Also, I'm seeing lots of network drops where my devices just completely lose coverage as if the router has been restarted, when it hasn't.

Is this expected and is there a way of resolving it? I haven't moved the placement of the units or anything like that.

TIA.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M4: Access Point vs WiFi Router Coverage
2024-09-13 03:18:29

@JMNathan 

Hi,

The different operation modes should not affect the Deco WIFI coverage.

Please reboot the Deco units and the offline devices and check if they can connect back.

And how far is the blackspot from the Deco units? How may signal bars can you get at this place?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Deco M4: Access Point vs WiFi Router Coverage
2024-09-13 10:58:10

@Sunshine I will try a complete restart and also switch back to AP mode for a time to see if the blackspot continues. The blackspot itself is only a few metres away from the nearest Deco unit as well which is strange.

Many thanks for the response.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 92

Replies: 2

Related Articles