Connection Preference not working on IoT network

2024-07-08 15:49:57 - last edited 2024-07-15 08:48:52
Model: Deco X80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20231225 Rel. 51625

Your product allows us to create an IoT wifi network for our smart devices. The majority of smart devices stay in the same location at all times (ie: security camera, smart bulbs, etc).

Even though the Deco application (version 3.7.65) allows us to select a connection preference for a device on the IoT network, it does not work.

Please fix ASAP, as this was the main reason I purchased your product.

PS: I don't understand why my smart devices connect to a Deco with a weak signal. If it always connected to the closest Deco (the one with the strongest signal) then I would not need the Connection Preference feature, but it does not.

PS2: My main deco is an X80, and I have another X80 deco unit and 3 X50 deco units

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connection Preference not working on IoT network-Solution
2024-07-08 19:37:02 - last edited 2024-07-15 08:48:52

ZaphodBeeble wrote

I don't understand why my smart devices connect to a Deco with a weak signal. 

@ZaphodBeeble 

This FAQ article may explain: Why my clients don't roam/connect to the nearest Deco node?

For more technical discussion on device roaming, follow link at the end of this article.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Connection Preference not working on IoT network-Solution
2024-07-08 19:37:02 - last edited 2024-07-15 08:48:52

ZaphodBeeble wrote

I don't understand why my smart devices connect to a Deco with a weak signal. 

@ZaphodBeeble 

This FAQ article may explain: Why my clients don't roam/connect to the nearest Deco node?

For more technical discussion on device roaming, follow link at the end of this article.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Connection Preference not working on IoT network
2024-07-08 21:49:55

@Alexandre. I have seen this article. I disabled Fast Roaming on my deco setup, and all my IoT devices have the Mesh Technology option switched off.

So I should not have this kind oif issue.

Options
Re:Connection Preference not working on IoT network
2024-07-09 00:33:16

@ZaphodBeeble 

Have you noticed the following statement in the document I shared with you:

Deco can only provide a roaming suggestion. Whether to roam or not depends on the client itself

If your IoT device can run on 5GHz, use Connection Preference feature to force it use 5GHz band. That should convince IoT device connect to nearby Deco unit, because 5GHz signal travels shorter distances.

For IoT device that only supports 2.4GHz no configuration changes in Deco app will overwrite connection preferences set in IoT device by its software developers. 

Options