QOS Download value as overall limit

2024-06-16 17:11:48 - last edited 2024-06-16 17:16:55
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20230725 Rel. 55602(5553)

Hello

I've noticed that if I set the QOS Download value, it works as overall limit.

For example, with QOS disabled, The fast.com reports about 8 Mbps of download bandwidth. It's correct, that's my plan.

But if I set QOS Download to 4 Mbps, the fast.com reports about that new value.

I thought the QOS value is used to , if the value is reached, to limit the use on no priority marked devices. But I see it as overall limit.

What is the correct behaviour? As I saw, the tested second one..

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:QOS Download value as overall limit
2024-06-17 09:32:00

@Fernando2112 

Hi, thanks for posting question here.

The QoS (Quality of Service) feature allows you to prioritize the internet traffic of specific devices to guarantee a faster connection when you need it the most. The router has preset an appropriate bandwidth allocation policy, so you don’t need to set different priorities for all devices. Simply set the desired device to High Priority and set how long you want it to remain the high priority, then the device will be allocated with more bandwidth when the network is overloaded.

And QoS will take effect only when the total network traffic rate is greater than the bandwidth you have set here.

Please refer to this article to know more.

Options
Re:QOS Download value as overall limit
2024-06-17 14:03:17

@Marvin_S Hello.

Thanks for the explanation It'very clear, as the documents. And my QOS works in that way, once set and marked one of my devices with priority, it reserves the bandwidth for it when the whole consumption reached the maximum.

But I also saw that the maximum value works as limit as well. i.e.  If I set it with 2 Mbps and activate QOS option, none of the devices, marked with priority or not, is able to use more than 2 Mbps.

I found it because my ISP rise my bandwitdth, and I didn't notice, because my QOS Download value was the previous bandwidth one.

It's not a problem, I just change the values, but I don't know if it is the expected behaviour. I don't have right now another router to test this.

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 140

Replies: 2

Related Articles