Will a TL-WPA8631P powerline adapter extend my home wifi with the same SSID & password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Will a TL-WPA8631P powerline adapter extend my home wifi with the same SSID & password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-28 17:43:03 - last edited 2024-01-04 11:56:02
Model: TL-WPA8631P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I currently have a UK TalkTalk router which doesn't offer any mesh wifi. I have TP Link powerline adapters in the house but wish to boost my wifi in other areas of the house. Can I use a TL-WPA8631P with the same wifi SSID and password as the TalkTalk router? If so, will devices nearer to the TL-WPA8631P use the wifi via that rather than connect to the TalkTalk router?  I don't want to use a separate SSID and have to set this up on the devices at that end of the house. I want to "roam" around the house and have devices (e.g. smart clocks, mobile phones) connect to the nearest strong wifi signal.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Will a TL-WPA8631P powerline adapter extend my home wifi with the same SSID & password-Solution
2024-01-03 05:47:39 - last edited 2024-01-04 11:56:02

@LesTheGnome 

Hi, you could customize the SSID and password for the TL-WPA8631P on your own, so using the same SSID and Password as your talktalk router is possible.

However, since they are not mesh network, the roaming between the two networks are totally decided by the client devices, usually the clients will connect to nearer WiFi but it might take some time to roam.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Will a TL-WPA8631P powerline adapter extend my home wifi with the same SSID & password-Solution
2024-01-03 05:47:39 - last edited 2024-01-04 11:56:02

@LesTheGnome 

Hi, you could customize the SSID and password for the TL-WPA8631P on your own, so using the same SSID and Password as your talktalk router is possible.

However, since they are not mesh network, the roaming between the two networks are totally decided by the client devices, usually the clients will connect to nearer WiFi but it might take some time to roam.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Will a TL-WPA8631P powerline adapter extend my home wifi with the same SSID & password
2024-01-03 17:38:02

@Sunshine Thanks for that.  I must say, I thought the same.  The ideal would be to have a router that is compatible with the OneMesh feature of the TP Link powerline adapter.  My current router mostly seems to work well enough for my needs in most of the house but the signal is a bit weak in one corner of the house.  I don't think it's worth me spending the money for a new router and the powerline for the benefit I would get. If it was just the powerline then I might go for that but I think I'll just put up with the slower speed in that area.  Thanks once again for your reply. yessmiley

Options