Deco is connecting to each other only using 2.4 Ghz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-01 17:27:03
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Hello!

I bought 3 decos, and one of them (Office, in the image) is only connecting to the main deco (Living Room, in the image) using 2.4 Ghz, which slows down the whole network.

They are close enough to connect with 5 Ghz (I can easily connect my phone with 5 Ghz from the same spot where the deco is, with very good speed).

Is there a way to force the Decos to connect to each other only using 5 Ghz?

Thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco is connecting to each other only using 2.4 Ghz
2023-12-02 11:17:36 - last edited 2023-12-02 12:39:18

@thedeco 

Your Office Deco is defective, you should replace it. There are no settings in Deco app to turn off/on Wi-Fi bands for backhaul. 

If you would like to, I can provide you with steps to verify that your Office Deco does not broadcast on 5GHz, meaning something is wrong with that module in this Deco unit.

Options
2023-12-02 17:19:29

@Alexandre. thanks for your reply!

Your Office Deco is defective, you should replace it. There are no settings in Deco app to turn off/on Wi-Fi bands for backhaul. 

If you would like to, I can provide you with steps to verify that your Office Deco does not broadcast on 5GHz, meaning something is wrong with that module in this Deco unit.

Please, if you can provide these steps would be great! Then we can confirm that it's defective, and I can request a replacement!

Options
2023-12-02 21:35:19

@thedeco 

I would suggest two tests. First one is already decisive, but second will be easy to explain if people you return Deco unit to not very familiar with Deco mesh backhaul.

Test 1

Promote Office Deco to Main Deco. Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network 

After everything is settled, if I am right both Satellite Deco will only communicate with new Main Deco over 2.4GHz. That will prove Office Deco (now Main Deco) can't broadcast over 5GHz.

Test 2

Keep Office Deco your Main Deco. In Deco app, turn off 2.4GHz for Main Network, leave just 5GHz:

Power off both Satellite Deco. Check if you can see Main Deco SSID from smartphone or other device that supports WiFi5/WiFi6. I suspect you will not. That will prove Main Deco unit does not broadcast on 5GHz, meaning something is wrong with its hardware module responsible for this. 

Options