M5 used as a router - is it a bottleneck?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-20 05:53:51
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My home network is setup pretty well I think. From the modem to an M5 and from the M5 to a switch. From the switch it connects to an M9 Plus on each floor (wired on CAT5e) that act as an AP i.e. as per the image below. My question is around the M5 acting as a router. Is there a better device for it? Must if be a Deco? Any advice from the community would be appreciated. Don't have a major problem, just wanting to make incremental improvements.

The setup connected via 5e ethernet

Options
5 Reply
Re:M5 used as a router - is it a bottleneck?
2023-11-20 15:40:27

@balaratnam 

First, check if improvements are necessary. You can login to Main Deco M5 Web interface and see its CPU and memory utilization. Example:

You can login to Web Interface by typing IP address of Main Deco in browser. This info auto refreshes, so wait for a few minutes and if CPU Load stays low after initial spike, and Memory Usage stays low - no need to change anything.

In case CPU Load and/or Memory Usage is consistently high, you can replace Main Deco M5 with one of your Satellite Deco M9, by promoting M9 to Main Deco: Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

Deco M9 Plus is more powerful unit. After the swap with M5, check its CPU and Memory load, same process.

Options
2023-11-20 16:42:23
Thank you for your message! Unfortunately logging in does not show the performance bar to see that CPU usage. Even when using Chrome in desktop mode.. Any idea why?
Options
2023-11-20 19:47:21

@balaratnam 

I have Deco mesh with M9s and M5s. I do see that info, but you need to scroll down the page:

Options
2023-11-20 23:28:36 - last edited 2023-11-20 23:31:32

@Alexandre. Thank you, but I've seen a screenshot like what you've shared on the net too but I don't seem to get that. Mine looks like the below. Is it a setting on the M5 that I need to change perhaps?

I think I have the latest firmwares installed.

Options
2023-11-21 00:17:49

@balaratnam 

There are no settings for this. Maybe it were removed in firmware 1.7.* for M5. My Main Deco is M9 Plus with firmware 1.6.2, I have it there.

If you change Main Deco to M9 Plus, check again Main Deco Web page after that.

Options