Ethernet backhaul makes PX50 mesh unstable with red lights - serious bug (not another switch issue)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ethernet backhaul makes PX50 mesh unstable with red lights - serious bug (not another switch issue)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-08 13:18:05 - last edited 2023-11-09 21:02:02
Model: Deco PX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20230920 Rel. 62115

When I connect a slave Deco unit to the main Deco via ethernet it makes the mesh network quickly unstable and gives red lights, if I reboot and connect the ethernet backhaul when the deco is rebooting it stays connected for a number of hours (around 10 this time) until it once again becomes unstable and I have to unplug the ethernet cable to make it fall back to PLC+wifi.

Network map:

The cable tests ok with a cable tester and I can connect a laptop to it and get a stable 1gbps, just the deco has issues, is this some kind of network loop being set up with the PLC+wifi and ethernet backhaul, I'm not using any switches just the ISP router/modem.

Options
15 Reply
Re:Ethernet backhaul makes PX50 mesh unstable with red lights - serious bug (not another switch issue)
2023-11-08 21:31:13 - last edited 2023-11-08 21:31:28

@David-TP  Are there any known issues with this PX50 and ethernet backhaul in the latest firmware?

Options
Re:Ethernet backhaul makes PX50 mesh unstable with red lights - serious bug (not another switch issue)
2023-11-09 07:14:35

@Alexmesh I suggest testing the Ethernet port of the satellite Deco, by connecting a device to that port.

Options
2023-11-09 07:20:53

@Alexmesh 

Hi, I don't think there has been any confirmed issue yet with 1.2.1 firmware.

For the issue reported here, do you mean all 3 Deco PX50 would turn red or flashing red when there is Ethernet Backhaul between main Deco and Dining room Deco, or just the Dining room Deco?

If both satellite Deco PX50s are on PLC+Wi-Fi, the internet connection is quite stable, right?

Are you able to reproduce this issue in short time?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-11-09 20:32:03 - last edited 2023-11-09 21:48:39

@David-TP 

David-TP wrote

@Alexmesh 

Hi, I don't think there has been any confirmed issue yet with 1.2.1 firmware.

For the issue reported here, do you mean all 3 Deco PX50 would turn red or flashing red when there is Ethernet Backhaul between main Deco and Dining room Deco, or just the Dining room Deco?

If both satellite Deco PX50s are on PLC+Wi-Fi, the internet connection is quite stable, right?

Are you able to reproduce this issue in short time?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Hi David,

Correct, all three Deco's go off line and the mesh network goes into a loop of trying to come back online and failing again but not getting to the point of stability, devices lose wifi connection during these episodes too and the app on the phone shows the lost connection screen. When the decos are not connected via ethernet everything is mostly stable apart from late evening PLC droppouts which I have been unable to solve. Once I pull the ethernet backhaul link they eventually go back to being stable with a PLC+wifi link.

I can reproduce this issue by connecting garage deco to the main deco via ethernet in the same room, I even made garage deco the main unit and connected it to main deco via another short known good ethernet cable and it still made the network go down, as another test I connected garage deco to dining room deco via cable and that was stable for the hour long test however but dining room was connected to main deco via wifi+plc. These cables and ports work fine for other devices.

But here is the part I can't work out, after the first mesh failure I removed the ethernet link between main deco and dining room deco and let it settle and rebooted the mesh then I reconnected and it was fine for the night until the same thing happened in the morning, wifi went down and changing lights red sometimes solid red sometimes flashing and occasonally green which didn't last for more than a few moments. Network traffic is less at night so might have something to do with it? Not sure.

I noticed in the log files there are lines about memory being low before ethernet backhaul went down one time, but the problem is there are so many errors and warnings in the log it makes it hard to know what is applicable.

Wed Nov  8 23:21:41 2023 daemon.err tmpsvr[5805]: Error: memfree less than 10000 KB
Wed Nov  8 23:21:41 2023 daemon.err tmpsvr[5805]: Error: tdp_trans_relay

/usr/bin/apsd: apsd_check_eth_has_neigh:1432: Error: can't find ifname[eth1.191] in eth_ifname

daemon.notice awn[14909]: [awnd_eth_handle_neigh:5341]: Ethernet backhaul link down.

I can PM log files directly if you'd like or look for certain entries along with the Deco serial numbers, I have a UK unit and purchased it from amazon and it's one which had the missing PLC symbol problem until a hard reset was carried out. It's quite frustrating not being able to use ethernet backhaul.

The tl;dr version of this is connecting an ethernet cable between the master and slave deco eventually makes the mesh unstable but it can take all night if the decos have been rebooted recently, also the network had traffic on it during these times of failure. What is the next step here? If you guys set one up for a test then I noticed it happens faster if the network is active and has been running vs freshly set up.

Options
2023-11-09 20:37:59 - last edited 2023-11-09 20:45:29

@yves_b Tried that, all ports and cables are working fine including the run from the main to the dining room. I checked all cables with a network cable tester too and I can connect devices using all these port and cable combinations and it works fine, its the Deco units that go haywire. I am not using any switches and it's a very basic network. I get 1gbps when connected via windows to these ports and can run LAN speed test between two computers.

Options
2023-11-10 20:58:52 - last edited 2023-11-12 22:39:24

Update: My latest test was stable for just under a day starting from late last night but around 20:30 this evening the deco mesh went down and it was back to red light cycles on the deco units until I disconnected the ethernet link between main loft deco and dining room then it came back up. This is also around the same time as the powerline backhaul link goes unstable although that doesn't bring the entire mesh down like the ethernet backhaul dropping does.

Also for this test I removed Garage deco from the network by unplugging it from the mains. @David-TP  is this likely to be a firmware or a hardware bug?

Options
2023-11-14 20:07:27

Still happening, will be stable for a day then I get red lights in the late evening until I disconnect the ethernet cable between the units.

Options
2023-11-15 07:06:25

@Alexmesh 

Hi, Thank you very much for your time and patience.

I see you also submitted a support ticket with us. I have added some notes based on the details you mentioned here to the ticket and forwarded the case to the engineers for further assistance.

The hardware is quite new and unliked to be defective. Hope the engineers can help us locate the issue as soon as possible.

Are you able to reproduce this issue in a short time? If yes, I think it would be very helpful for further debugging.

Thanks again for your cooperation and support.

Best regards.

Options
2023-11-15 23:36:20

@David-TP Hi David, The issue happens on its own accord during the later parts of the evening UK time (7pm-midnight) but it's not on demand as to when the mesh becomes unstable, same goes for the powerline link.

Options
2023-11-30 15:37:25 - last edited 2023-11-30 21:42:05

For anyone following, I'm still having issues. The ethernet backhaul often renders the decos to display red lights and the only way to resolve it is to disconnect the ethernet backhaul and let it reconnect via wifi, then I can often reconnect via ethernet until it decides to disconnect again, right now my past two disconnections have been during the mid morning, I actually had to reboot the main deco the other day to get it back up and running.

I spent my evening looking at posts on here of similar ethernet backhaul problems and it doesn't give me confidence given the posts are from months or even years back.

Options