New x20 3 pack in Access point mode. What's up with using the same wifi channels?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

New x20 3 pack in Access point mode. What's up with using the same wifi channels?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-02 08:31:45
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.07

Couple of question with my new X20 3 pack running in access point mode:

The fast roaming feature that is available with a single access point seams to disappear when you have the 3 access points grouped together. I won't assume it's doing fast roaming automatically but how do I check?

Channels - This is bizar but I suspect I know the answer. All 3 units are aware of each other so they all use the same 5Ghz band - why? The optimizations option doesn't seam to do anything other than tell me its all fine with 3 AP's on the same channel (its not) and there is no manual setting of channels in the App or web interface. Any way to fix this? Not fussed about 2.4Mhz as its typically terrible.

I've just come from a D-Link mesh COVR 1870 and if you wanted very dumb and basic it worked. Anything else was a train wreck. Just being able to put the X20's in Access Point mode and they stay in it is awesome. There's also software updates which is something D-Link never did.

Options
2 Reply
Re:New x20 3 pack in Access point mode. What's up with using the same wifi channels?
2023-06-07 11:17:20

@c-d-e 

Hi, thanks for your time and patience. Do you mean the fast roaming feature is missing on the Deco APP when 3*Deco X20 V3 joined into the same Mesh network?

Normally there should be an on/off switch under Deco APP>More>Advanced.

As for the wireless channels, satellite Decos will follow the wireless settings of the main Deco, including channel and channel width. And so far, it is still now allowed to manually choose the wireless channels. May I know the current wireless channels for 2.4 GHz or 5GHZ? Have you experienced some issues which you think might be related to the channels yet?

Thank you again.

best regards.

Options
Re:New x20 3 pack in Access point mode. What's up with using the same wifi channels?
2023-06-07 22:58:06

@David-TP Found the fast roaming feature on the base AP. Wifi - 5Ghz: All 3 units are using channel 42, 2.4Ghz all on 6. I've run the network optimisation tool but it doesn't look like it's doing much. Neighbours wifi will move to the low end of the 5Ghz spectrum and it becomes very busy. Noticed a couple of streaming services pausing, but there's many factors involved. Other than that's it's been a good purchase.

Options