High speed on test, Very low in real world environment.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-04 17:57:15
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi

When using online speed test I get 150Mbs download with a 22 ms ping.  In a real-world environment I get only 15 to 16 Mbs download.  This is across a great many sites and appears to be the norm, therefore not related to slow servers.  Any idea what's going on please.  I live about 200m from the nearest mast and have a strong, unobstructed siganl.

Options
8 Reply
Re:High speed on test, Very low in real world environment.
2023-05-05 07:28:01

@Rick-H 

Hi, please double-check the download speed in real-world environment, is it 15 to 16 Mbps or MBps?

Please share with us the screenshots as well.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-05-05 11:08:59

@Rick-H Hi

Thanks for replying, it's definitely bits, not Bytes.  Can't get my head around this one.

Rick-H wrote

Hi

When using online speed test I get 150Mbs download with a 22 ms ping.  In a real-world environment I get only 15 to 16 Mbs download.  This is across a great many sites and appears to be the norm, therefore not related to slow servers.  Any idea what's going on please.  I live about 200m from the nearest mast and have a strong, unobstructed siganl.

Options
2023-05-05 11:32:51

@Rick-H

Below are 2 different speed tests recorded one after the other, the one on the right reflects real world speeds

Options
2023-05-06 05:53:19

@Rick-H 

Hi, may I know how you tested the speed in real world environment? I mean were you/the router at the same location or is there any other difference except for the speedtest results?

In addition, do you have any other 4G router available for comparison?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-05-06 09:44:10

Hi

I downloaded various files from various locations around the world (known fast servers) and noted the results.  The recorded speeds concur with the results from the slowest test figures indicated in the above image.  A bit of a conundrum to say the least.

Options
2023-05-06 09:45:57
Unfortunately I do not have access to another 4G router to compare.
Options
2023-05-06 10:11:03

@Rick-H 

Hi, the above image with good speed seems to be Ookla speed test, and the right image with slow speed seems to be Google speedtest, the speedtest methods and servers are different. Generally speaking, the Ookla speedtest is more accurate, thus your internet speed seems very good.

In addition, downloading speed when you download files from servers in different countries cannot reflect your full internet speed, so it is still recommended to refer to the Ookla speedtest or try downloading files from servers in the same area.

Options
2023-05-06 10:34:46

Hi Again

I remain confused.  In the past, when I had access to fibre, I archived rea-world download speeds that were comparable to test results.  With the current setup I have never seen the speed rise above 18 Mbs, irrespective of the download source.  One would reasonably expect to see at least 50Mbs in this scenario.  Given the disappointing results of 4G, and no resolution in sight,  I will likely return to using twisted copper, at a much reduced cost.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 522

Replies: 8

Related Articles