Deco P9 - "PLC + Wi-Fi" is surprisingly slow, and listed as a "Weak" connection in the Android app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P9 - "PLC + Wi-Fi" is surprisingly slow, and listed as a "Weak" connection in the Android app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-07 18:01:30 - last edited 2023-03-07 18:02:47
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 - 20201228

I have recently bought a pack of 3 Deco P9s to attempt to solve my home internet issues. I have very thick walls and in order to make the most of my ~650 mbps download speed (that I can measure with my Netgear RAX80 on the BT FTTH connection) I thought this would be a good decision.

Unfortunately I am experiencing huge problems.

With the main router set as one of the Deco P9s i the Living Room, I had assumed that I could have fast connection via the Powerline communication (PLC) to my Utility (below the main router) and my office (above the main router). Instead, both of these Deco P9 units are listed as having "Weak" signal and I can only get ~45 mbps connection speeds, which I think implies they are connected via 2.4 gHz only. This speed limit even applies when I run an internal speed test from my office to my Unraid server in the utility.

Questions:

- Does "PLC + Wi-Fi" having a "Weak" signal imply that the P9 unit is conecting via weak wifi only, or is it the powerline connection that is weak? 

- Is there a way to force the PLC or Wi-Fi only to test different options?

- Is it possile to run speed tests betwen Deco devices to see how fast the connection is between them?

- When a Deco says "Conected to X (PLC/2.4 GHz/5 GHz)" is it connected 3 different times? Or is it cycling between each option? [see image below]

Thank you for your time,

BJ

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco P9 - "PLC + Wi-Fi" is surprisingly slow, and listed as a "Weak" connection in the Android app
2023-03-08 00:12:27 - last edited 2023-03-08 01:29:15

@tp_bj 

What is the distance between the main Deco and the satellites?
Connect one satellite in the same room as the main Deco or in the next room and test the connection speed via Ethernet cable (not WiFi)

Unfortunately you can't force connection via PLC only, this is still a problem in Deco P9 software,

Are you sure that all Deco devices are connected to the same electrical phase?

All Decos must be plugged directly into a power socket without any power strip

You probably have a poor PLC connection, your Deco connects using PLC and Wifi but this connection is slow, please check the power connection requirements above

In this thread ( Disable Wifi Backhaul ) you have written how to disable Backhaul Wifi but this requires changing the software to beta and manual changes in the system via telnet and vi, it's not too simple ;)

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 951

Replies: 1

Related Articles