Tp-Link Deco in AP mode in Star Topology

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-14 02:08:38
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello. I want to deploy the network presented in this image.

Given That:

the ONT/ROUTER works as a router with a nat gateway and a dhcp server (it is a router with all its functions)

the ONT/ROUTER is connected to the internet trough a fiber connection.

All the Decos are in AP Mode

all the Ethernet connections use CAT 6 UTP cable.

My questions are:

Will this network give a stable Ethernet Backhaul to all the Decos?

Will this network give a stable connection to the clients connecting wirelessly or wired to the Decos?

Given that all the devices work correctly, will this network work Overall?

Can i implement any tp-link Switch for this network? If the answer is negative, which Tp-Link switches are the ones that I cannot use?

Can i implement any tp-link Deco Router for this network? If the answer is negative, which Deco Routers are the ones that I cannot use?

thanks for any help that anyone can offer.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Tp-Link Deco in AP mode in Star Topology
2022-10-14 08:54:09

@Ygal_Mizrachi 

Hi, the network layout would work perfectly/

Any Deco and TP-Link switches are capable of your network design and for more details, you could look at this link:

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
2022-10-14 11:54:08

@Heidi_Alp Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question you have been most helpful.

I am still hoping for an "Official" answer from TP-link team. It's important that they answer because based on this answer my company will take certain commercial decisions. 

Again thank you so much for answering my question.

Options
2022-10-14 13:40:26

Ygal_Mizrachi wrote

... my company will take certain commercial decisions. 

@Ygal_Mizrachi 

If you plan to deploy Deco mesh in commercial environment, consider the following:

1. You can configure and manage Deco mesh only through Deco app. There is no Web interface to manage Deco mesh.

2. You will need Internet access to manage Deco mesh. If your router disconnects from the Internet, you might not be able to manage Deco mesh until Internet connection is restored.

3. Deco mesh runs Internet health checks by sending DNS queries. If your router/firewall blocks all or some of them, Deco mesh might decide Internet is down.

4. There are very few options to configure in Deco mesh. In AP mode it is not a big deal, as network management stays with the router, but saying it so that you are aware.

5. Deco mesh can run two WiFi networks: Main and Guest. In Access Point mode they can be isolated from each other, providing necessary separation. Yet, any device connected to Deco unit Ethernet port automatically joins Main network. There is no configuration setting to disable Ethernet ports or to remap them to Guest network. If this is a concern (anyone with laptop can gain access to Deco Main network by just plugging laptop to Deco Ethernet port) - consider different WiFi mesh brand.

Options
2022-10-14 15:27:44

@Alexandre. 

Thank you for your answer.

The Decos will not be deployed on a commercial environment.

Options
2022-10-17 06:31:26

@Ygal_Mizrachi 

Hi, Heidi_Alp is right that the attached network layout would work properly, and All TP-link switches are capable of the Ethernet backhaul.

Alexandre has provided more details about the pros and cons you might have on Deco and I couldn't thank him more.

There are supplements to Alexandre's information:

1. You can configure and manage Deco mesh  only through Deco app. There is no Web interface to manage Deco mesh.

Deco does have a web interface but the information on the web UI is very limited. The basic setup and configuration of advanced features have to be complemented on the Deco APP.

2. You will need Internet access to manage Deco mesh. If your router disconnects from the Internet, you might not be able to manage Deco mesh until Internet connection is restored.

The remote control of Deco is based on the cloud service so internet service is a necessity and without the internet access, you could also connect to the wifi of Deco for local control only.

If you do have any further confusion, please feel free to ask.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options