Deco X60 - Slow & inconsistent speed on Wired Connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-10 22:17:40
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.51 Build 20210204 Rel 50614

Hi,

Hopefully, someone might have seen this before and offer some guidance. Recently purchased the X60 triple pack as a replacement for my Google Wifi and following a package upgrade with Virgin to 1GB service. The setup is reasonably simple, the Hub 4 is in the garage, and this goes into the primary Deco via a Cat 6 certified cable, from the Deco to a Netgear TP110 Gig Switch and then a Fibre connection to the loft to the main switch which feeds the rest of the house. The whole Deco system is back hauled on Ethernet and so far so good. I  have never managed to get close to the published speeds but in the past week or so, I noticed the speed dropped off to below what I had prior to the upgrade. Rebooted everything, tested the connection on my network, made sure no QoS is switched on, and gave Virgin a kicking! Yesterday out of curiosity I changed the Deco to AP mode and flipped the Hub 4 back to router mode and wallop my speeds shot back up and have been solid since this change. This is using all the same infrastructure, the only difference now is the internet feed from the Hub 4 goes into the TP110 and the primary Deco goes into the same switch. Hub 4 taking care of DHCP etc. This means the bottleneck must be the Deco, typically on Wifi, its the usual, Phones, tablets, Cameras, Sonoffs but everything else is wired, so it's about a 70/30 split in favor of wired, but I go back to the same thing, next to a slight change using the Hub 4 as the router, everything else is back to where it should be. Now I will add, that I was using Pi-Hole, but I have also removed this to make sure there was nothing causing a problem, and in the original setup, still poor speeds.

Am I being a spanner and missing something, is the X60 capable of the 945 Mbps I am now seeing on cable or should I be looking at an alternative? It's not the end of the world to keep it in the current setup but I would prefer to keep the Hub 4 in modem mode if possible. Any help appreciated

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco X60 - Slow & inconsistent speed on Wired Connections
2022-09-11 00:37:39

@Biggsy 

Check CPU Load and Memory Utilization on Main Deco, when you run Deco mesh in Router mode. To check Main Deco utilization, login to Main Deco web interface using its IP address, should be http://192.168.68.1 if you run Deco mesh with its default Router mode settings. Scroll down to the bottom of the web page and you should see it reporting CPU Load and Memory Usage, in real time. Example:

Wait 10-15 seconds till it settles down, because usually right after login these numbers spike high. When numbers got down and are steady, see if Main Deco runs hot. If it does, that's where the problem is. 

If Main Deco utilization is high, your options are either go back to AP mode, or replace Main Deco with more powerful Deco unit, which is X90, and see if that helps.

Options
2022-09-11 00:38:46 - last edited 2022-09-11 00:39:22

@Biggsy 

One more thing: you said "The whole Deco system is back hauled on Ethernet and so far so good. " You did verify that Satellite Decos do indeed use Ethernet for backhaul, right?

Options
2022-09-11 09:19:38
Yes I checked, all showing as connected on Ethernet
Options
2022-09-11 09:22:03

@Alexandre. That makes a lot of sense, typically it was sitting at around 73% CPU load, and Memory ar around 40% but the main unit was warm. IN AP mode I cant see this info now, but I might flip it back..... Thanks for the reply

Options
2022-09-11 13:16:16

Biggsy wrote

@Alexandre. That makes a lot of sense, typically it was sitting at around 73% CPU load, and Memory ar around 40% but the main unit was warm. IN AP mode I cant see this info now

@Biggsy

You can have access to CPU load and Memory utilization info in AP mode. For that, you will need to access Main Deco using its current IP address. You can find Main Deco IP address by opening its page in Deco app.

In browser, open that IP address and you will be presented with login screen.

Options
2022-09-11 15:57:42 - last edited 2022-09-11 15:58:26

@Alexandre. I found it, yep the utilisation on the CPU has significantly dropped from around 65-70% down to (on average) 14%, so I think your theory makes a lot of sense, which is a touch frustrating, my Google WiFi was good just not particularly configurable, my challengewith this current config, I can't get PI-Hole to work as you cant specify DNS servers on the Hub4 so would need some rethinking, getting an X90 could be the answer, however, I am well on the way to Ubiquity at that point

Options
2022-09-12 20:58:58 - last edited 2022-09-12 20:59:25

Further to this, I have raised a ticket with TP-Link, they have confirmed there is no reason why it should be doing this. They suggested a X90 if you go any faster, but the speeds I am now getting in AP mode should be more than achievable in router mode. I couldn't flip it back while I was in the chat with them, however, they want the basics checked first, make sure QoS is correctly set and no high-priority devices. Once this is done, they can start to dig into it a little more. Will update the thread when I have more

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1193

Replies: 7

Related Articles