Open port for multiple devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-12 14:08:11
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

How do I open the same port for multiple devices?  Port forwarding works but I need multiple devices to be accessbile from the outside on the same port.  There doesn't seem to be a way to do this but it is a basic networking ask... obviously port 80 is doing this so why can't we control other ports?

Thanks

Options
9 Reply
Re:Open port for multiple devices
2022-07-12 14:29:13

@JimmyB-Deco 

Can you give an example, with generic router configuration, how you could achieve that same thing on it: multiple devices inside to be accessible from the outside on the same port?

To explain, how that router will know which of those multiple devices to route requests that are coming to router external IP address and with same port number.

Options
2022-07-12 14:32:36 - last edited 2022-07-12 14:33:05

@Alexandre. 

port 80... is open to all devices on the network. why can't I create a rule of port 12345 to be open to all devices?

Options
2022-07-12 14:52:20

@JimmyB-Deco 

Port forwarding is used to allow external devices, on the Internet, connect to internal device, on home network.

What you are asking is to have ability for internal device, on home network, to connect to Internet servers using whatever port you want, just like with ports 80 and 443. With Deco firewall allowing that outbound connection. Is this correct?

Options
2022-07-12 15:03:04

Alexandre. wrote

@JimmyB-Deco 

Port forwarding is used to allow external devices, on the Internet, connect to internal device, on home network.

What you are asking is to have ability for internal device, on home network, to connect to Internet servers using whatever port you want, just like with ports 80 and 443. With Deco firewall allowing that outbound connection. Is this correct?

@Alexandre. correct!

Options
2022-07-12 15:29:09

@JimmyB-Deco 

I can't help you figure how to do that, but I can help to formulate questions for TP-Link Support that reads this forum.

I am assuming you've checked with your Deco mesh and you can't connect to Internet server that listens on random port such as 1234, when Deco runs in Router mode with default firewall configuration.

So, questions to TP-Link Support:

1. Does Deco mesh in Router mode allow device on home network to open outbound connection to Internet server using any port user wants?

I think we know the answer on that one, but it is always good to double check.

2. If Deco router firewall blocks outbound connections on all but few ports, is it possible to configure firewall to allow outbound connections on all ports, or on specific user defined port such as 1234? 

For example, I may have Web server on the Internet listening on port 1234 instead of shandard port 80, and suppose its IP address is 23.6.7.8. When I open http://23.6.7.8:1234 in my browser on device connected to Deco, I want to be able to reach that Web server. 

3. If Deco router firewall is not configurable, please provide list of all ports it allows for outbound connections. The two obvious are 80 and 443, but what are the rest?

Options
2022-07-13 04:07:22 - last edited 2022-07-13 04:08:48

@JimmyB-Deco As far as I can tell, you have no ability at all to manage ports on the deco products. You can forward a port from a particular IP address from a single device, but only ONE device. It appears that the deco then decides for you to open that port for JUST THAT ONE IP address.  And you cannot use that port for any other device.  This is not port management in the deco router. It is port forwarding. I have asked the same question, but tp-link has since gone silent with no answer. Here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/569212?replyId=1111820&utm_source=Subscription&utm_medium=email

Options
2022-07-13 07:28:24 - last edited 2022-07-13 08:04:08

@Alexandre. @JimmyB-Deco 

Here is some information for your reference:

2. If Deco router firewall blocks outbound connections on all but few ports, is it possible to configure firewall to allow outbound connections on all ports, or on specific user defined port such as 1234? 

Deco router firewall is not configurable.

3. If Deco router firewall is not configurable, please provide list of all ports it allows for outbound connections. The two obvious are 80 and 443, but what are the rest?

Port 80/443 is only predefined for local communication to Deco web UI, not for outbound connections, and so does port 22 for local connection to Deco APP.

And for the first one, it seems you are quite confident about this one but I am a little confused. Maybe I did not get what you are trying to ask.

Deco does not block any outbound connection unless you configured the parental control rules and the related sites will be blocked. So if it does not block any outbound connection, it also has no need to open anything for outbound connection.

Options
2022-07-13 11:53:51

@David-TP 

Okay since Deco's wont do any of this, any suggestion as to what one will?  I will just make my Decos access points behind another router that does have complete firewall configurability.  Seems like most info I read up on these routers is very light and doesn't quite say "Full access to firewall rules"  just says "Firewall".

Thanks!

Jim

Options
2022-07-13 16:26:50

@JimmyB-Deco That's probably what I will do, but that means there are devices that I have connected to the Deco ethernet port that will have to be hard wired, or use another wireless AP above the subnet. Or, I may just ditch the Decos and use something that *is* configurable. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1371

Replies: 9

Related Articles