Slow & unreliable connection on corporate VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-26 13:31:15 - last edited 2022-07-20 09:56:42
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

As a brief overview, I have a Virgin Hub in modem mode, with an Archer AX10 connected for my router. On wired devices my connection is fine until I use a VPN. In either the case of my works corporate VPN, or something like NordVPN. Once connected to one of these VPNs my connection becomes extremely slow and unreliable, often loosing connection as soon as I try to do anything that might use more than a small amount of bandwidth. If I connect a device straight to the Virgin hub in modem mode, these issues disappear so my assumption is that there must be something on my AX10 incorrectly setup.

I initially had this issue earlier this year and managed to resolve it after changing the DNS settings. However I had to replace the AX10 last week and after restoring the settings to what I believed them to be, the issues have returned.

There is also a secondary issue that on devices connected via WiFi, such as an xbox, the connection is ocasionally lost and trying to reconnect give DNS resolution errors. It was this which led me to changing the DNS settings in the first place that seemed to work, but as I mentioned has had no impact this time around.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Slow & unreliable connection on corporate VPN
2022-05-30 11:44:27

Hello @MDewhurst 

Thank you for posting on the TP-Link Community.

Can you please confirm if you are configuring any VPN settings on the AX10? Or you are just connecting to the AX10 and linking to the internet, then running a VPN client software on the computer to connect to the works corporate VPN or NordVPN server?

Please check and determine if the internet connection on the AX10 is stable, you may confirm that by checking the internet LED on the AX10, will it change to orange when the connection drops?

How about normal web browsing or streaming, are they being loaded correctly when you are connected to the AX10 wifi? How much bandwidth have you got from your ISP, and who is it? What are the current DNS settings on the AX10 WAN/Internet page?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-05-30 20:39:31

@Kevin_Z 

The VPN settings on the AX10 are unchanged from the out of the box settings, I am just running the VPN software on my PC/laptop.

The internet connection is stable according to the LED panel on the router, equally other devices are fine, it is just traffic going over the VPN that appears to have an issue.

When connected by wifi or ethernet without a vpn normal browsing and streaming are fine.

The DNS settings are currently set to use the google public DNS. I have used the Virgin DNS and OpenDNS servers and the issue seems to be present regardless.

My ISP is VIrgin with a 220 Mbps package.

Options
2022-06-02 08:34:57

@MDewhurst 

Thank you for the detailed information.

To assist and figure it out efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up. Thank you.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 371

Replies: 3

Tags

Related Articles