TP Link switch that support Ethernet backhaul for Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-28 06:46:27
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.3

Hi all,

My network setup is as following:

[[ ISP modem --- D-Link switch + Toto-Link switch --- Main Deco ]]            Deco 1/Deco 2 (wireless)

Things works fine.

Currently, I am trying to wire Deco 1/2 directly into switch to activate backhaul feature but in in Deco app it still shows Wifi as signal source. There seems to be an issue with IEEE 1905.1 protocol not being supported on D-Link switch (as mentioned https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/). Seems like using TP-Link switch is a safe bet here but I went through all switches listed on the website but nowhere in specs table IEEE 1905.1 was mentioned.

1/ Can you guys help me on what switch support this protocol?

2/ In my current setup there are two 8-port switches (I had 2 of them so I setup it that way). Is it better to use just one 16-port switch instead (theoretically and practically)? I am thinking of this switch TL-SG1016D

Thanks.

Options
4 Reply
Re:TP Link switch that support Ethernet backhaul for Deco M5
2021-08-28 13:44:04

@ChrisNg 

If all your Ethernet cables come to same place, it makes sense using 16-port switch instead of two 8-port switches. 

Have to be careful when choosing large switches, because they might have noisy fans. This one, surprisingly, fanless according to TP-Link, which means it should be fine for a household. 

Any unmanaged TP-Link gigabit switch should be a safe bet, but just in case buy it from the place with good and easy return policy.

Options
2021-08-28 14:40:11

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for the reply. The switch will live in basement so I would not worry too much about noice. 

Return policy is not that flexible here :) Can only return if it's defective or something like that, return it just because it does not support 1905.1 protocol will not work.

Really there isn't a way to find out if it supports the protocol huh?

@tp-link

Options
2021-08-30 07:28:44

@ChrisNg 

Hi,

All the TP-Link switches support IEEE 1905.1 protocol. So does TL-SG1016D.

Options
2021-08-30 07:31:00

@TP-Link 

Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4153

Replies: 4

Related Articles