Deco M4 V2 corrupted firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-15 18:25:37 - last edited 2021-07-15 18:26:52
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Deco M4(EU)_V2_1.5.0_20210511

Hi all,

today I ran into an issue with three Deco M4s. I installed them a couple of months ago for a neighbor and yesterday evening he updated the firmware to the latest version (1.5).

After that he faces a lot of issues regarding stability. Especially Apps with endless scroll (e.g. Snapchat, etc.) as well as Streams (Netflix and so on) show the following pattern: Initial connection is quick and stable, after a bit of time the new content does not load any more. This is reproduceable on multiple devices (Mobile phones, PCs, Tablet). Speedtests tend to drop just before finish.

I installed then one of my Deco M4s with the older firmware (1.4) and double-checked. All is now working fine again. 

Either there is a bug in the firmware or something went horribly wrong during firmware upgrade. 

Unfortunately you are not able to perform firmware downgrades through the Web-UI. Is there any way to get the old firmware back on my neighbors devices or any other solution?

(I tried also flashing again the new one again, which works, but the issues persist)

Any help would be very much appriciated.

By the way: We are in Germany, ISP is Telekom.

VLAN needs to be used to connect to the Internet (VLAN ID 7 priority 0) if that helps.

Kind regards

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M4 V2 corrupted firmware
2021-07-16 07:04:40

@Robot2.0 

Hi, would it be convenient for you to post a video about the stability issue for me?

At the same time, please help me run the following test:

1. turn off the 2.4ghz on the Deco M4;

2. power off the satellite Deco units, only leave the main Deco;

Please check again whether the issue still existed;

Thank you.

Options
2021-07-16 08:40:07

@TP-Link 

Thanks for coming back to me. I would prefer to not post a video.

1. 2.4ghz was turned off already

2. We also tried to use only the main Deco without satellites. We even reset all of them and switched the main one with a satellite after the reset just to be sure.

The issue was persistent in all kinds of configurations. Only switching to mine with 1.4 did the trick.

Kind regards

Options
2021-07-16 16:53:02

@TP-Link 

I resolved it with the help of the support hotline.

They send me the tutorial on how to downgrade the firmware.

@TP-Link maybe check with engineering if this is a bug. After the downgrade, I double-checked and 

did the update again. Same issue, the connection was broken again. Downgrade again and everything

is working fine again. My suggestion is that this is caused by the VLAN i need to use to connect to my ISP.

The VLAN components seemed to have received an update in 1.5.

Kind regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 352

Replies: 3

Related Articles