VPN Client on Wi-Fi Router Is Not Working

VPN Client on Wi-Fi Router Is Not Working

225 Reply
Re:VPN Client is not working
2022-04-07 12:40:31

@Kevin_Z 

Hello

good morning

Archer AX20 v2.0 US firmware: 2.1.5 Build 20211231 rel.73104(5553)

Can't connect to VPN using WAN - L2TP My VPN Service Provider is LE-VPN and has the L2TP protocol active and functional, can you do something to make it work?

Using the New VPN Client Option in OPENVPN Protocol unfortunately lowers the internet speed performance too much and they already explained to me that when activating that it only uses a single processor core of the router and it is not an option for me, they can also add the Protocol WireGuard I would appreciate it I would like you to send me the latest beta ZIP to install on my router and do tests.

thanks

regards

Options
2022-04-08 01:55:25

macmax1718 wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Hello

good morning

Archer AX20 v2.0 US firmware: 2.1.5 Build 20211231 rel.73104(5553)

Can't connect to VPN using WAN - L2TP My VPN Service Provider is LE-VPN and has the L2TP protocol active and functional, can you do something to make it work?

Using the New VPN Client Option in OPENVPN Protocol unfortunately lowers the internet speed performance too much and they already explained to me that when activating that it only uses a single processor core of the router and it is not an option for me, they can also add the Protocol WireGuard I would appreciate it I would like you to send me the latest beta ZIP to install on my router and do tests.

thanks

regards

Hello @macmax1718, I replied to you earlier in this thread that the WAN L2TP VPN configuration doesn't support IPSec security, so it won't work with your ISP in that configuration. We are not able to provide a beta firmware to achieve that, sorry for that.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-04-15 00:32:43

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin

I have an Archer AX20 v2.0 and the firmware is up to date: 2.1.6 Build 20220128 rel.15823(4555).

I have tried to connect to CyberGhost VPN and PrivateInternetAccess VPN via OpenVPN and it is just stuck on "connecting". I have followed all of the steps outlined in your original post (size of config file is fine etc.)

Can you help at all?

Thanks

Options
2022-04-15 00:57:54

oosman5 wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin

I have an Archer AX20 v2.0 and the firmware is up to date: 2.1.6 Build 20220128 rel.15823(4555).

I have tried to connect to CyberGhost VPN and PrivateInternetAccess VPN via OpenVPN and it is just stuck on "connecting". I have followed all of the steps outlined in your original post (size of config file is fine etc.)

Can you help at all?

Thanks

@oosman5 

Have you found this guide to manually creating the unified format for the OpenVPN profile when connecting to the CyberGhost OpenVPN Server? You can also try that when connecting to PrivateInternetAccess VPN if that works for CyberGhost. Please let me know if it works.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-04-15 09:53:15
Hi Kevin You are right the CyberGhost file was split so I followed the instructions and manually created the unified format file. Still the same thing - stuck on 'connecting'. Any other ideas? Thanks Omer
Options
2022-04-18 01:27:07

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

I need the OpenVPN server option operated with TAP mode (i.e. Bridge-mode) instead of TUN mode (i.e. Router-mode) provided by Archer AX90 FW. Can you help to ask if this option can be provided just like DD-WRT FW's OpenVPN server? Otherwise I don't know how to allow the remote VPN client to access the home LAN subnet's file sharing / RDP / VNC servers directly.

With the following AX90 FW version, the OpenVPN connection can be successfully established. But it is the same situation regarding Ronald's question.

Another curious design is about the "Access Control" on the "Guest network". I am surprised why it is also included. To me it makes more sense without any needing to set the MAC address in this table just for my different guests to use my WiFi network to access the internet while my home network is still only accessed with my home devices. It is the same for the company's office environment. It can be achieved with my another Buffalo AC1750DHP router running the DD-WRT FW.

Thank you for any help!

Best regards,

Wayne

Options
2022-04-18 06:10:52

oosman5 wrote

Hi Kevin You are right the CyberGhost file was split so I followed the instructions and manually created the unified format file. Still the same thing - stuck on 'connecting'. Any other ideas? Thanks Omer

@oosman5 I see. If that is the case, can you please check and determine if you can connect to the CyberGhost VPN server or PrivateInternetAccess VPN server when running the VPN Client on a local device directly, such as a Windows computer or phone? If that works, we would like to have the vpn config file that you imported on the AX20 then, you can email it to support.forum@tp-link.com.

Options
2022-04-18 06:50:50

@WayneHu 

WayneHu wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

I need the OpenVPN server option operated with TAP mode (i.e. Bridge-mode) instead of TUN mode (i.e. Router-mode) provided by Archer AX90 FW. Can you help to ask if this option can be provided just like DD-WRT FW's OpenVPN server? Otherwise I don't know how to allow the remote VPN client to access the home LAN subnet's file sharing / RDP / VNC servers directly.

With the following AX90 FW version, the OpenVPN connection can be successfully established. But it is the same situation regarding Ronald's question.

Kevin_Z: Can I know what kind of VPN server are you using on the AX90? And what is the working mode of the AX90 when you mentioning TAP mode (i.e. Bridge-mode), does it refer to Access Point mode? Some advanced features are not available when the router is working in AP mode, I guess VPN server would be one of them. VPN server can only be configured on the gateway router.

Another curious design is about the "Access Control" on the "Guest network". I am surprised why it is also included. To me it makes more sense without any needing to set the MAC address in this table just for my different guests to use my WiFi network to access the internet while my home network is still only accessed with my home devices. It is the same for the company's office environment. It can be achieved with my another Buffalo AC1750DHP router running the DD-WRT FW.

Kevin_Z: Does it mean there is no internet access when connecting to the guest network and when Access Control is enabled? If yes, this has been brought up with the team and they will evaluate the feasibility to optimize the Access Control feature in the future.

Thank you for any help!

Best regards,

Wayne

Options
2022-04-18 12:10:52
Hi Kevin, Yes the VPN works fine on my laptop directly - just an issue connecting via the router it seems. I have sent an email with the vpn config file for you to review. Thanks Omer
Options
2022-04-19 02:06:23 - last edited 2022-04-19 06:27:40

Kevin_Z wrote

Kevin_Z: Can I know what kind of VPN server are you using on the AX90? And what is the working mode of the AX90 when you mentioning TAP mode (i.e. Bridge-mode), does it refer to Access Point mode? Some advanced features are not available when the router is working in AP mode, I guess VPN server would be one of them. VPN server can only be configured on the gateway router.

Hi Kevin,

As it is mentioned, the current AX90 FW's OpenVPN server does not have this TAP option when AX90 is configured as router mode. But it works with the DD-WRT FW in my experience. With OpenVPN server's TAP mode, the VPN client's IP is assigned with the LAN subnet's. I used to run DD-WRT's OpenVPN server with this mode.

Kevin_Z: Does it mean there is no internet access when connecting to the guest network and when Access Control is enabled? If yes, this has been brought up with the team and they will evaluate the feasibility to optimize the Access Control feature in the future.

Any device not described in the [Access Control] [White List] does not even have any chance to establish the connection to AX90's Guest WiFi network. For security consideration,  this option is useful in case to disallow some standalone devices to touch home LAN. But it is not really useful for occasionally visited guests case. Maybe an additional Guest Network SSID with the option to enable / disable the Access Control is more flexible. :p

Thank you for the reply!

Best Regards,

Wayne

Options