Extending Deco P7 with Deco P9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-29 07:48:47
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Good day,

For a couple of years I do have a setup of 3 Deco P7 devices. The three P7 devices are connected via FTP cables.

I need to extend my network a bit. As the P7 is "end of life", I have ordered two Deco P9s. The two new locations do not have FTP connections nearby.

So what is now the best I can do?

Just add the P9s on the new locations and link it to the P7 master and leave the current P7 set up as is?

Replace the P7 master with a P9 master and the most important P7 slave with a P9 and place the "old" P7s at the new locations?

Do something else?

And what is the reason for doing this or that?

Is there an issue as the current P7 setup is FTP connected while the new locations aren't?

There is also a "phenomena" which happened multiple times. And I have tried everything to solve it from switching slave and master devices, resetup everything, etc etc, but every time I tried something the "phenomena" happened again. Which "phenomena"?

Every time the master device has no power, for whatever reason, the WiFi network has drop outs multiple times a day for a couple of days. The number of drop outs decreased over time till after 5 or 6 days the network was stable again and drop outs rarely happens ... till the next time the master device lost power. So also when I switched masters and slaves and pulled out plugs or whenever I did a cold restart, this phenomena started over again.

Why do I mention this?

If possible to prevent this phenomena to be happening again when I rearrange the setup by just adding the new P9s and leaving the P7s untouched, it will be a factor I will take into account.

But if it is known that the P9 as a master will not have this issue with a power drop out, it will be a factor to take into account too in favor of a switch of masters.

Thanks for any answer,

Johan Bakkers

Options
1 Reply
Re:Extending Deco P7 with Deco P9
2021-05-19 08:48:23

@JohanB1971 

Hi, as for the network topology, it would be better to leave the Deco P7 as the master unit, and add new P9 units to be the satellite units;

As for the instability after the power outage of the master unit,  since once the main Deco lost power, all the satellite Deco units would turn red;

Have you tried to reboot all the units after the main Deco was power back?

And when the devices dropped out multiple times a day, would any Deco turn red again during this period?

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1029

Replies: 1

Related Articles