MR600 on Three in VoLTE/Super Voice area

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-27 08:53:42
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Pre installed

Hi all

I got a new router to upgrade from the Huawei one I have been using.  I plugged everything in last night & the MR600 connects fine on 3g, but when set to 4g only, disconnects.  4g is on the Band 1/800MHz frequency.  What am I doing wrong?  There are a variety of inconclusive things online about Three's implementation of VoLTE with differing conclusions.  No one at Three seems to have the first idea, so I thought I would ask some people who might know better! :-)
Signal strength for 4g is about -90dBm & about -80dBm for 3g, so routers tend to latch onto 3g first, but the 4g signal should be plenty strong enough (I can connect to it no bother on current router)
Thanks in advance

Options
3 Reply
Re:MR600 on Three in VoLTE/Super Voice area
2021-02-02 09:45:30

@richie_b 

Do you mean it will show as 3G on the Status page if you leave the Network Mode as 4G Preferred? There is no internet at all if you choose 4G only? Can you please show me the status page after you choose 4G only and save it?

Was it on 4G LTE on the previous Huawei router?

What is the speed you can get when it is 4G on the old Huawei router, and what is the speed you can get now on the MR600 when it is on 3G?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-02-02 10:02:57

@Kevin_Z 
Thanks for getting back.  I can get you the screenshot later when I get a chance to plug everything in, but will run through the questions just now:

-When I opt for 4g preferred, it picks a 3g signal, when I opt for 4g only, it shows no signal at all (including the signal meter on the top falling to zero).  Screenshots to follow

-4g LTE worked on the Huawei when it was forced to (4g only), the 3g signal is lightly stronger (about 10dBm stronger, on average), so it defaulted to that.

-The speeds really vary with atmospheric conditions and contention issues, but 4g will normally, but not always, run a chunk faster in download speed.  The main issue is in upload speeds, which are consistently terrible on 3g and which make it impossible for both my partner & I to have meetings when working from home.  The 4G upload speeds (even when the download speeds are terrible) are consistently massively faster (typically four or more times faster)
Typical 3g speeds: 3-18Mbps download & 0.5-2.5 Mbps up
Typical 4g speeds: 4-25Mbps download & 4-10 Mbps up

Options
2021-02-04 03:09:18

@richie_b 

Thank you very much for getting back with the detailed info.

To locate this issue and try to fix it, we would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check your inbox and provide the information that we need.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 947

Replies: 3

Related Articles