VR600v remote access disabled, but still able to login from the internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-04 00:07:42 - last edited 2019-12-05 21:48:40
Model: Archer VR600v  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.5.0 0.9.1 v0075.0 Build 190621 Rel.61814n

I bought a new VR600v and configured it successfully for my Telekom VDSL 100 here in Germany. I got one issue, under advanced settings the remote access is diabled, so it should not be possible to access the configuration page from the internet. But i can still access the configuration page from the internet, either by using the global ip address or by using my dynamic DNS service. I found no solutions and also rebooting the VR600v solve not the issue.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue and has a solution for me?

Greetings from Germany

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:VR600v remote access disabled, but still able to login from the internet-Solution
2019-12-05 07:55:41 - last edited 2019-12-05 21:48:40

@Hadde 

Thanks for your requesting. 

Do you access the web UI with the global IP address or the DDNS locally or remotely? 

In other word, are you still connected to the Archer VR600v when you tried to access it with the global IP and DDNS? 

And please ensure that the remote management has been disabled, you can reboot the router to apply it. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:VR600v remote access disabled, but still able to login from the internet-Solution
2019-12-05 07:55:41 - last edited 2019-12-05 21:48:40

@Hadde 

Thanks for your requesting. 

Do you access the web UI with the global IP address or the DDNS locally or remotely? 

In other word, are you still connected to the Archer VR600v when you tried to access it with the global IP and DDNS? 

And please ensure that the remote management has been disabled, you can reboot the router to apply it. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:VR600v remote access disabled, but still able to login from the internet
2019-12-05 19:23:33 - last edited 2019-12-05 21:52:00

@Hadde 

Hi Hadde,

What's happening is standard for any router, the way to achieve what you want is to local access block others by designating one device as the local administrator by MAC address, this way only one device on your network can access the router login page keeping all other devices off the router admin,

The method is to open Advanced options -> System Tools -> Administration ->  Local Management -> tick the box and add MAC address of the PC or Laptop you want to be the only device to be able to logon to the router then save, I'm guessing you are assuming by leaving the Remote setting disabled this would secure it as you desire, unfortunately not as this is the nature of the beast by design, tip is don't designate your phone and don't use the app unless you really have to, best option is a wired connection to the router,

Once on this page select the local options and add one device by MAC address, then when you go to login again you'll find only the selected device can open the login page, you may want to change the DCHP address as well while you're at it from 192.168.1.1 to anything 192.168.1.(2) through to (99), you can also change the first 1 of the (1).1 end of the addy from 2 to 249 iirc in addition to (2) to (99) in the second 1 of the 1.(1) part of the addy but ensure you miss common numbers used by various router vendors, you can find a list @ Router Security.org in Mike's many sections about locking it down better than what is enabled at the factory, leave it alone if you don't understand the process though, never go above 99 on the last 1 digit or you'll put the router addy in with the DCHP addies, so a typical example will look like this 192.168.174.62 and that should work fine after a reboot,

Some other things you might want to do are to reserve an address outside of the DCHP range ones for that one device, also MAC bind the device in the security section, so you might want to cut your DCHP numbers down  from (192.168.1.100 / 192.168.1.199) to (192.168.1.100 / 192.168.1.140) restricting the router to only give out 40 addresses, then reserve (192.168.1.154) for your admin device, please don't use any of these exact numbers, choose another other than 54, you could also use (192.168.1.126) / (192.168.1.132) this would then only allow 6 devices to connect, use the numbers that work for you, ip address pool section in LAN settings is the place to change these,

Have a read up on Mike's site and you'll find many helpful tips on how to configure routers better, your model the VR600v is a very good budget option which has many features that a lot of other routers 50% more expensive don't have, TP-L could be a bit better with their explainations of things and keep FW updated more regularly but overall still a good choice. hth.

Options
2019-12-05 21:48:13

@Kevin_Z Thanks for your reply. Like you mentioned was this the solution, when I am in my local network, i can access the web UI with the global IP address or the DDNS. Switching to another network, like using LTE from my phone or when i am at work, and I can't access the web UI anymore. So everything is working like aspected :-).

Options
2019-12-05 21:53:36

@Hadde 

I've just had to edit so if you read earlier please read again as some things I've had to add for info and another was because I'd posted an incorrect set of ip numbers, the ones now posted are correct though.

Options
2019-12-05 21:54:34

@Hannibal_Lack Thanks for your reply and time :-). I will have a look at Mike's site. I already changed the local ip address of the router and the dhcp range.

Options
2019-12-05 22:00:20

@Hadde 

NP,

I thought you were having an issue of any device could login to the UI, I see now it was a bit more complex than that, glad you got it sorted out in the end.

Options
2019-12-06 00:56:53

@Hadde 

Thanks for your reply; Glad to hear that you figured it out. 

It is normal that you can access the web UI with the global IP and dynamic DNS locally, it is called NAT loopback which is supported by the Archer VR600v. 

If need more help in the future, be free to let me know. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1386

Replies: 7

Related Articles