TP link Archer VR400 and Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-01 08:03:09 - last edited 2019-07-01 17:03:18

I recently swapped ISP and the modem / router they supplied was rubbish.  So, I replaced it with a TP Link Archer VR400 VDSL modem / router and it greatly improved things.  I have a WD MyDrive connected to one of the ethernet ports on the VR400.  I then bought a TP Link Deco M5 system, set it up in router mode and turned off the wifi on the VR400.  This was another great improvement.  However, I can no longer connect to the WD MyDrive.  I realise that this is because it is still connected to the VR400 and is on a different IP range.  I don't want to move the drive into another room to connect to a M5 ethernet port.  What would be the best way to configure my setup to be able to access the WD drive?

Options
1 Reply
Re:TP link Archer VR400 and Deco M5
2019-07-02 02:00:09

Hi,

Cause the VR400 and Deco M5 both work as a regular router, the devices connected to the Deco won't able to access the WD MyDrive which connects to the VR400 due to the Double NAT issue( not in the same IP range); 

First, you can configure the Deco as an access point, then the VR400 will work as the main router, and the devices connect to the Deco or the VR400 can access each other; but in this way, some advanced feature on Deco won't work anymore when it is in AP mode. 

Or you can try to enable port forwarding for the HDD or other devices on both routers, which will be more complicated and you need configure manually. 

Good day. 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1467

Replies: 1

Related Articles