Archer D2 how to connect to Virgin Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-11 13:48:57 - last edited 2019-02-11 13:54:21

Hi.

My broadband supplier is Virgin Media (via cable), and currently connect wirelessly to that.

I want to change this so that I connect to an Archer D2, which in turn I want to connect to the Virgin router (cable).  And I'm having problems.

I believe I have to put the Virgin router into 'Modem only' mode. Basically, as far as I understand it, meaning that I turn off its wireless.  I have done that and noted the guidance off the web that says: "Once in Modem Mode, the IP address you use to access your Super Hub changes from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1".  I can connect to that via a cabled connection just fine. I can also, via this non-wireless, cabled connection, access the internet.

I can also connect to the Archer via wireless.

Cabling the Archer to a port on the Virgin router is where I get stuck, i.e., once cabled, the Archer still cannot 'see' the Internet.

I would appreciate any help with how I should set-up the Archer please.

Peter

Options
10 Reply
Re:Archer D2 how to connect to Virgin Router
2019-02-11 18:25:41

Hi, I have the same problem with Virgin Hub modem/router. I connect my Archer VR400 with cable to LAN port on Virgin Hub modem, but Archer does not get Internet.

Best Regards,

Ygrok

Options
2019-02-12 05:57:10

Cause the Archer D2 is a DSL modem router, in order to connect it to another router by cable, you need change the operation mode to wireless router mode first. 

And then connect the LAN4/WAN port of D2 to the Virgin media hub and check whether you can get internet. 

You can follow https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-543.html to do that.

Options
Re:Re:Archer D2 how to connect to Virgin Router
2019-02-12 06:00:23

Like change the opeation mode of D2, we need change the VR400 to wireless router mode and then connect it to the virgin media router to get internet.

Here is the setup instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1731.html 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2019-02-12 09:52:07

I can't try that right now, (after the 18th I can), but wanted to say thanks. I'll come back with results soon.

Options
2019-02-12 10:19:43

Thank you. I was able to setup my Archer correctly.

Best Regards,

Ygrok

Options
Re:Re:Re:Archer D2 how to connect to Virgin Router
2019-02-15 10:06:09

Absolutely. finger crossed. ^_^

Options
2019-02-18 16:30:27

Ok, so here's an update.

I put the Archer into Wireless Router mode, and set connection type to Dynamic IP.  Then connected the WAN port of the Archer to the Virgin router.  All of this in pictures here (plus pic of status page).

As you'll see, I'm still not getting an IP address.

I also tried the Virgin router in 'modem mode'. No difference.

The cable is good - I can use that with a laptop to connect to the virgin router just fine. Wireless to the Archer is good, no problem. Just not getting an IP address.

Any further ideas very much appreciated.

P.S. I also tried everything here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-138.html

Options
Re:Re:Re:Archer D2 how to connect to Virgin Router
2019-02-19 08:22:28

why not try to clone the mac address? It helped a lot. 

1. Ensure that the computer can access internet from the virgin media router by wired cable.

2. Then connect the computer to the D2 by WIERD CABLE and login to the web page to clone the mac address.

While if still does not work, you can reset it and start from the scratch. 

Options
2019-02-26 15:18:17

Had another session trying to solve this today. Cloning the MAC address didn't help.

Noticed that the firmware was out-of-date, so updated that to the latest. Nada help.

Coming to the conclusion that the WAN port is broken in someway.

Options
2019-03-03 04:09:22

may be the issue is the WAN port, or you can reset the whole thing and try again, if it still not working, restart the modem after you did the MAC clone on the router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4062

Replies: 10

Related Articles