TP Link behind Router using DHCP?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-07-26 16:42:06
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

My main router does not support WLAN. Thus I bought a TP Link router to provide WLAN for my laptop, smartphone etc.

One way of how to do it, is to follow the instructions of How to Configure TP-Link N router as a wireless Access Point? which is in short: Give TP Link Router a unique IP outside of the main routers DHCP range, disable DHCP in TP Link and connect both routers with a cable, by putting the cable in the lan port from each device. This setup works.

I found that TP Link router also works if I enable DHCP in the TP Link rounter and use a different DHCP range then the one that my main router uses. In addition, I need to plug the connection lan cable into the WAN port of the TP Link router.

My question is, are both approaches equal or should one avoid the second explained setup? Are there any downsites to using DHCP in the second router if one takes care that both routers have a different range?
Options
1 Reply
Re:TP Link behind Router using DHCP?
2017-07-27 20:12:25
Not sure what you really need. But to use both of them, we can either put one as access point, and disable DHCP on it, or use both as router, and leave DHCP enabled on both. On the second method, the 2 routers uses different IP range. There is no methods in the middle. DHCP is something which gives IP address to the devices in the network. If you have 2 DHCP enabled in the same network, they may conflict with each other and thus cause trouble.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 4082

Replies: 1

Related Articles