Archer C7 - Tried to Update Firmware - Now Can't Connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-26 06:35:44
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Today I tried to update my C7 with a newer version of firmware... but it didn't go well ;-(

I'm pretty sure I got the right firmware download (ie. ArcherC7v2_fr_ca_3_15_1_up_boot(161031).bin) - yes my hardware is V2...

The update seemed to go OK - after several minutes a msg in the admin console said (something like) Update completed - restarting ... (FYI - the green LEDs on the router were flashing on and off like the unit was working) - although I did not have a connection to the router...

But even after almost 2 hrs the "restarting" never seemed to finish so I powered off / on the router and still unable to connect - either by WiFi or a direct LAN cable connection...

I've tried resetting the router by pressing the WPS button in for more than 10 secs but no change.

Sure hope someone can provide some advice and direction how to get my router working again...

Thanks and regards

P.S. BTW - For some strange reason when I look in my Win7 WiFi connections in the SysTray I see "TP-Link_253E" and "TP-Link_253D_5G" (which are definitely coming from the Archer C7) but I can't connect to with any known password...!!??
Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer C7 - Tried to Update Firmware - Now Can't Connect
2017-01-26 09:05:48
The signal name that starts with TP-LINK is the default wifi name of a tp-link router.
Thus you need to enter the default password that printed on the label at the back of the router.
Options
2017-01-26 18:20:50
OK thanks - that helped ...

I connected to the TP-Link_253 SSID and input the password on my C7 router and established a wifi connection - but no Internet access.

FYI - The C7 was originally set up as an Access Point but I guess that has all been reset when I reset the router...

I input
192.168.0.1 into my browser was able to connect to the C7 -

Before I go any further please help me confirm that I have the right/newest/best firmware loaded now, which is:
Firmware Version: 3.15.1 Build 161031 Rel.40163n
Hardware Version: Archer C7 v2 00000000
The label also id's the C7 as a (CA) - Canadian model I guess

When I try to reconfig the unit via the admin console it says "WAN Port is Unplugged" which I'm guessing is because the C7 is in my home network like an Access Point...

Next I'll try to connect my C7 WAN input directly to the dsl modem and see if I can finish setting up the router - and then I hope I can re-set it up as an AP (with all my original settings)...

Anything I'm missing...?

Options
2017-01-27 08:02:38
Pretty much figured it out on my own. Once I got a wifi connection to the C7, using the default SSID and the default p/w on the label, I logged into the Admin Console using 192.168.0.1 - and then Disabled DHCP and put in a static "LAN" IP address - then changed the SSID for both the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz and updated the passwords...
I did so the config would provide an Access Point.

I double checked to make sure I I had the right new firmware.

Router is working good now.

Couple of remaining points...
- Don't understand why the router 'screwed up' after I updated the firmware... I guess when you update the firmware it resets the router settings (SSD etc) back to the factory defaults - I thought that I'd still have my configs after the firmware update... ???
- Was not able to connect to the router using an Ethernet cable between my notebook and the LAN port of the C7 - which I thought was basic way to connect to and get the router working - but instead it was easy / better?? to connect to the C7 via WiFi (once I figured out the default SSID and p/w)...
Options
2017-01-27 09:01:49

UltraFusion wrote

I guess when you update the firmware it resets the router settings (SSD etc) back to the factory defaults

No, settings are retained across an update usually, except the release notes for the new firmware states otherwise.

Was not able to connect to the router using an Ethernet cable between my notebook and the LAN port of the C7 - which I thought was basic way to connect to and get the router working - but instead it was easy / better?? to connect to the C7 via WiFi (once I figured out the default SSID and p/w)...

If you turn off the Archer's DHCP server in your LAN, then your PC using a wired connection also needs to have a static IP unless there is another DHCP server running somewhere and the Archer C7 is connected to the network where the active DHCP server resides. Yes, wired connections are usually much more robust than WiFi connections.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-01-27 23:39:14
OK - appreciate your comments - am better informed now for the next update !

All is good now.

+++++++++ BTW - unless I missed something when I was looking for and downloading the firmware update zip file, there s/b a 'caution / warning' that the router's settings will not be retained after the update and it will need to re-config'd etc. Would also be a good idea to include a similar note when you open up, unzip, the zip file containing the bin firmware update...
As you can imagine most people are used to updates like Windows or iOS (OK not exactly "firmware" updates) and how they work (ie. retain the user settings / configs)...
Options
2017-01-28 19:51:42

UltraFusion wrote

+++++++++ BTW - unless I missed something when I was looking for and downloading the firmware update zip file, there s/b a 'caution / warning' that the router's settings will not be retained after the update and it will need to re-config'd etc. Would also be a good idea to include a similar note when you open up, unzip, the zip file containing the bin firmware update...
As you can imagine most people are used to updates like Windows or iOS (OK not exactly "firmware" updates) and how they work (ie. retain the user settings / configs)...

I did grow up with UNIX/Linux/FreeBSD and still don't own Windows nor iOS, but in this ecosystem we are used to RTFM (read the fine manual).

There is indeed a warning on the firmware download page, problem is only that generation twitter most often stops reading (if at all) after some 120 characters:

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options