Archer C2. Slow internet bandwith

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-12-21 04:15:00
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I bought an Archer C2, upgraded to the latest firmware, and replaced my very old dir-300 (I bought this one back in 2009 and it was time to "upgrade")

My wireless devices get almost NO internet connection. I can't watch netflix on HD, and my online gaming is almost impossible, since I get almost no connection and I get kicked and disconnected once in a while. I connect the dir-300 and the PS3 starts working flawlessly again.

Connection diagram

Ubiquity Router (gateway) with Internet access and DHCP server<----> Tp-link gigabit lan switch <----> ArcherC2 (connected to the LAN port, as a switch/AP, dhcp disabled, all security settings disabled) <~~~2.4Ghz wifi~~~> PS3/wireless desktop/cellphones

I DON'T use the WAN port, because I use the ArcherC2 mostly as an .

I tried disabling absolutely every single feature in the ARcherC2, and I still can't get online to any game for long periods, nor watch netflix in an acceptable image quality.

Connecting from the wired desktops to the wireless devices inside the same network subnet seem to work OK, since I was able to stream a 720p movie to the PS3 as a media center.

The internet connection on the other hand is terribly slow, unusable. It works fine when I connect the dir-300 router/ap again.

Does anyone know what could be the cause?

Thanks!
Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer C2. Slow internet bandwith
2015-12-21 22:36:36
Apparently, reseting the modem seems to help. Is there any expected date for the new firmware? It's a little disappointing to buy a router that has troubles to communicate, with a slower speed than a 2009 product.
Options
2015-12-30 06:36:45
I have never used wifi for gaming, it's just not as stable as a wired connection. I'm assuming the PS3 has a LAN port - try temporarily running a long patch cable to the PS3 and see if it makes any difference in speed and reliability. Also check all of your devices and make sure that all network settings on all devices are set to auto-negotiate speed and full duplex. Sometimes it's weird settings incompatibility that causes things to not work happily together.

Then again, I kept crashing my network for months - driving myself crazy until I unhooked everything and plugged all my hardwired stuff back in one at a time. I had such a wiring mess that I was causing a loop somewhere. DOH!
Options
2015-12-30 21:53:03
i am having the same on a virginmedia router in modem mode hooked up to a c2 v1.1 latest firmware ever since i got upgraded to 159 meg speed the router locks up i have to reboot .my router is 2 months old as the c20i failed on me
Options
2016-01-18 02:23:46
Just in case anyone else comes to this post:

I had to switch to a wired connection because the wireless connection was terrible. I can't play online nor watch netflix over wifi.

The distance from the ps3 to the archer C2 is about... NONE. They are literally next to each other, in a distant location without any other wireless interference, because I leave outside the city. I have the only wireless router in hundreds of meters around.

Wired connection: OK, acceptable results.
Wireless connection... only usable for emails and browse the web. Completely useless for anything else. My best advice: if you bought this router, use a wired connection. It can't even be considered a wireless router.
if you didn't buy it: DON'T BUY THE ARCHER C2 until further notice.

They may, or may not fix the "wireless works so badly it can't even be considered a feature" problem in a future firmware update. The last one was from October. Let's see if they make it work at all some day.
Options
2016-01-18 23:49:19
download the latest firmware for the c2 do a full rest of the c2 by holding the reset button down till all lights flash
plug in the ethernet cable to your pc only dont connect anything eles
now log in to the c2 and disable the 2.4 and 5ghz and save
now go to the upgrade off firmware and upload it to the router if its still the lastest still upload it after its uploaded and reboots and all comes back on login and do a factory rest
once the all the lights come on turn off power hook it up to your main router or modem lanport on your mail to wan port c2 turn power to the c2 and login to c2 and go to setup screen detect settings once it done
open a new tab on broswer and test internet leave dhcp on in settings somehow it works better
if it dont connect to the net go tO NETWORK LAN and relese and then renew

after a lot off messing around i got my c2 working on my cable router after uploading the firmware again and leaving dhcp on and now i enjoy the same speeds as i should be getting and no lock ups

and if tp-tink do read this your support is not good you should know how your products work .. but hey ho you learn a lot a lot by playing around with it

ps dont give up like i nearly did the c2 is a fantasic router once it gets going
Options
2016-01-18 23:53:53

my settings which work on anything by wifi
Options
2016-01-24 10:03:51
I tried reseting to factory, disabling wifi, re-uploading the firmware, etc etc. But it's still a problem. I found many other users with the same problem:
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?82711-Archer-C2-AC750-disconnecting&highlight=latency
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?83050-Archer-C2-too-high-ping&highlight=Archer+C2
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?84986-Archer-C2-throughput-amp-latency-problems&highlight=latency
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?84105-Ping-hiccups-amp-high-latency&highlight=latency

It would be great if all of us could open a ticket to get support. It's the only way they will see it's a bug
Options