Allow and Deny Firewall Rules on TD-W8980

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-08-17 19:13:03
Model : TD-W8980

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 0.6.0 1.7 v000e.0 Build 140919 Rel.52176n

ISP : N/A

Hi

I'm trying to setup some firewall rules on the W8980 to only allow incoming communications from a specific external IP on a specific port. I'm trying to prevent SIPvicious attacks.

On other devices I would setup 2 rules...

1. Specific WAN Host Port 5060 Inbound Allow

2. All WAN Hosts Port 5060 Inbound Deny

Incoming traffic from my VOIP provider would match the first rule and be passed through. Incoming traffic from any other external IP would hit the 2nd rule and be denied. The Firewall on this router is set to '
Allow the packets not specified by any filtering rules to pass through the device'. I want to keep it this way too.

However, the interface on the W8980 isn't so easy to manipulate this way. I can setup the first rule fine by defining a service port in the WAN host. But when it comes to the second rule the only way I can think of this working is by creating a 'WAN Host' defining a full range of all Public IP addresses against port 5060 so I can limit the rule to a specific service port! The firewall rules themselves do not give you the ability to define a Service Port.

Sorry, but I'm not sure why the below images are so small.

Am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks
Kev
Options
3 Reply
Re:Allow and Deny Firewall Rules on TD-W8980
2015-08-18 10:45:45
Upgrade the latest firmware to prevent potential attack.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TD-W8980_V1.html#Firmware

Refer to the guide here to check your settings.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-467.html
Options
Still not quite what I want
2015-08-18 16:34:39
Thanks for the reply M Diamond.

However, I want more granular control over the firewall.

All I want to do is limit traffic on one particular service port to one external IP. Is this possible with this device whilst not having to set the default on the firewall to block everything?

Is this possible?

Thanks
Kev
Options
Re:Allow and Deny Firewall Rules on TD-W8980
2017-01-30 19:37:09
I am resurrecting this topic to ask the same question as OP...
I am not so sure that he is still around to answer if he indeed made it work with only router's firewall rules, tho.

I have 8970 model but I guess it's the same concept as 8980 router.

Thank you in advance for reading this,
Jimmy
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 949

Replies: 3

Related Articles