Admin-protected router gets routinely hacked

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-05-06 21:41:45
Region : Philippines

Model : TL-WR340G

Hardware Version : V5

Firmware Version :

ISP :

The router was purchased almost two years ago. Prior to that, there was a previous similar one that unfortunately got "burned" during a freak thunderstorm in our area. The first one was perfectly okay and even the second and newer one was until this last three months or so. I was so trustful and confident enough that nobody would dare hack our network (router), hence, I didn't bother changing any admin settings on the router. Besides, I am not that too much of a techie.

And then we couldn't access anymore our very own network. Common sense told me to just simply reset the router, set a new network password and indeed everything seemed fine again. That, lasted only less than a day - yes, the network was hacked again by somebody (I believe, somewhere near us). Anyway, this went at least a couple times more. That's when I finally decided to set an admin password other than the default to the router. It went fine but only after less than 24 hours! Next thing I know, I myself could not even access the control panel of the router using the admin password I have just set into it earlier. So there, the router was hacked again. This is simply frustrating. I wonder what can be done with this situation aside from routinely resetting the router and setting a new admin password every now and then. I guess there are a few bright people in the neighborhood who wants a free ride on our paid ISP subscription. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
Options
3 Reply
Most likely suffering from the rom-0 vulnerability
2014-05-28 16:17:51
The modem is most likely being taken over with using the rom-0 vulnerability that I have just discovered is a problem with many TP-Link modems. It wont be anyone nearby doing it. The solution is to reset your modem again and then (Under NAT) forward port 80 to a IP address not being used (I used 192.168.1.254). That way the hackers cant download the file that is leaking all your info.
Options
2014-10-15 04:14:47
HI

Att: Kelpi
Have a simlar problem with a TD W8901G

Some one using up my data allowance. I cannot get to log in to router. I enter User: Admin and my password but nothing further happens. So I cannot change password etc. How do I get access to the router now ?

Using New Zealand ISP Slingshot

Charles Harris
charles7 at slingshot co nz
Options
Re:Admin-protected router gets routinely hacked
2020-07-01 21:38:38
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1957

Replies: 3

Related Articles