Problems with wdr4900 and windows 8.1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-04-05 18:15:57
Region : Denmark

Model : TL-WDR4900

Hardware Version : V1.3

Firmware Version : 3.14.3 Build 130320 Rel.39025n

ISP :

Hi
I bought a wdr4900 hoping it would help me expand my wireless network so I have wifi coverage in all of my house.
I disabled dhcp on the wdr4900 and set it up as an access point.
Now I have the problem that my lenovo windows 8.1 pc , and my asus windows 8.1 tablet can't connect to the tp-link router,
the connection drops all the time, I have to disable/enable wifi all the time to get it to establish connection, but the connection only works
for a couple of minutes, before it is dropped again, it says that i only have a limited connection.

My windows 7 laptop, my android phone, my daughters android tablet and the iphone of my wife all connect fine to the wdr4900, without dropping the connection, and on those I can see the wifi range has expanded, compared to the sagemcom router, covering all of my house, which was the reason for me buying the wdr4900.

I have been reading a lot about the problems people are having with wifi and windows 8.1, so I have updated drivers on my wifi card to no avail, the connection still drops all the time, making the internet virtually unusable.

But the strange thing is, after getting really frustrated by the tp-link wdr 4900 router I turned it of, and re enabled the wifi on the Sagemcom wireless N router supplied by my internet provider, now the connection again runs 100% stable with no drop outs even on my windows 8.1 computers, and the windows 7 and androids work as well, this leads me to believe , there must be a problem with the wifi on the wdr4900, compared to the sagemcom router.
I have even tried to copy the complete wifi setup from the sagemcom to the tp-link, setting channels and decryption the same, but nothing works.

Now I have bought a new tp-link wdr4900 with latest eu firmware, that doesn't work with windows 8.1, and the old sagemcom wireless N 2.4ghz router provided for free by my internet provider, that works with windows 8.1 24/7 with no problems at all what so ever, what a waist.

do any of you have any suggestions, that would make the wdr4900 work, just like the sagemcom, would installing open wrt make a difference ? I am open to any suggestions as the wdr4900 clearly has a stronger signal, and has a 5ghz network opposed to my Sagemcom.

Best regards Matthias Schümann
Options
5 Reply
Re:Problems with wdr4900 and windows 8.1
2014-04-05 22:46:41
Hi,

Could you give details about your wireless signal parameters ? (band, mode, channel, channel width, security, advanced setting, etc.)
Options
2014-04-06 03:19:48
Hi

On my sagemcom, I run 2.4 ghz channel 4, 802.11b/g/n, wpa2 aes, wps disabled, and it runs like a charm.

On the tp-link I run 2.4 ghz: Region : Denmark, 11bgn mixed, channel width auto, channel 11, ssid enabled
wps enabled,
Wpa/wpa2 personal, automatic aes
Mac filtering disabled
transmit power high

Concurrently with 2.4GHz and 5GHz (802.11a/b/g/n)

dhcp disabled
nat disabled
firewall disabled

had to change the ip adress of the tp-link to 192.168.1.11, so it runs within the sagemcoms ip area, that has to run as modem and gateway for my ip-telephone and ip-tv.

My connection is a 50/10 fibreoptics connection.

I want to run the tp-link as an access point, and disable the wifi on the sagemcom. But for now it just doesn't work.

regards Matthias Schümann
Options
2014-04-06 17:34:00
OK, I suggest you to analyse the other wifi signals around with inSSIDer for example...

Try to force the channel width to 20MHz.

My WDR4900 works great with 2.4 or 5GHz, so your problem appears very strange to me.
Options
solved
2014-04-07 15:16:20
Hi
I resolved the problem by downgrading the driver version of my intel 7260 wifi card to version 16.10.05, the newest version is 17.0.
And i downgraded the broadcom drivers of my windows 8.1 tablet as well, to the version used under windows 8, now the connection doesn't drop.

The funny thing is that the newest drivers work fine with the sagemcom wireless router.

Even though the connection is more stable now, sometimes the speed of the wifi connection drops to a very low level, and the ping times are rediculous, to a point where the internet is unusable, it feels like the connection is through an old fashioned 56k modem, then i have to reset the connection to make it go at full speed again, so it seems there is an issue with the drivers under windows 8.1, but it doesn't explain why the problem only exist with the tp-link router and not the sagemcom.

I read on a microsoft support page there is talk about a compatability list of windows 8.1 routers, sounds strange to me.

Regards Matthias
Options
not quite solved anyway
2014-04-07 18:14:29
hi
there still seems to be a problem, the internet seemed so slow, so I just did a speed test on speedtest.net, my download speed on the tplink was between 0.02 mbps and 0.25 mbps, ping 3 ms, upload 0.5 mbps,
speedtest through my isp, said 0.75 mbps download, 1.29 mbps upload.

I then reset the router, turned it off/on and now I get ping 3 ms, download 4.69 mbps, upload 4.74 mbps.
At the same time i did a test on my old windows 7 laptop that only has a 54g wifi card, result 28.34 mbps upload 10.55 mbps ping 3 ms, so it seems to be a windows 8.1 issue, I don't know what to do. There is no interference form other wifi signals as i live in a house, not an apartment.

With the sagemcom i get speeds of 46 mbit download and 13 mbit upload, my connection is a 50/10 so i get what i pay for.
But the tp-link router just doesn't seem to work correct.

I don't want to return to the sagemcom router, but it looks like I have to.

regards Matthias
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 607

Replies: 5

Related Articles